Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
How many PALS here have had corrective surgery for eyes since being diagnosed?

I had to cancel my consultation last week because my dental appointment ran on too long.

I had lasik in 2001 but it regressed and now I wear progressive lenses again.

I'm hoping to get either lasik enhancement or some kind of lens implant so if I need eye gaze, I won't have to deal with tracking issues.

I had cataract extraction / lens implants. This resulted in significant vision correction. My respiratory status was decent enough at the time of surgery. They give you a light anesthetic (Versed).

My breathing is still good enough to get knocked out. I'm glad you mentioned Versed because I had a bad reaction to it 20 years ago. Somehow, it triggered my heart arrhythmia and made me hyper instead of sedating me. I've never reacted to other benzodiazepines in that way.

My gastro has it in my chart but the eye doctor doesn't.

At least both my cracked crowns are replaced.

They gave me Versed for the first surgery but Ketamine for the second. That was kind of a weird trip. I know Ketamine is used as a veterinary anesthetic.

Good to consider vision correction surgery while your respiratory status is still reasonable and before needing eye gaze.

Katamine would scare the crap out of me. I have enough bad dreams without having a hallucination during a medical procedure. It makes me wonder how Ace felt during his last dental.

At least Ketamine (like Versed) is out of your system fast. I don’t remember much except that the experience with Versed was pleasant and Ketamine was weird. There was no eye pain or memory of the surgery with either.

Kim, I believe Kristina1 posted a couple years ago that she had vision correction surgery not long after her ALS diagnosis.

I'm rescheduling my appointment. My cousin, who also wears progressive lenses, got implants and can read and see distance with the new implants. I looked online and they can correct just about anything these days.

Glad there was no eye pain. Same with when I had lasik, only they just numb your eye. That was nearly 20 years ago. Hard to believe it's been that long.

I'm just glad the dental stuff, except for cleaning, is over. I think if one of my back crowns cracked, I'd have it pulled rather than go through that again. I do like my dentist. She is new, young, gentle, and an MD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back