Old 04-12-2019, 08:32 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Grafton
State: MA
Diagnosed: 03/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Kristina1 is a glorious beacon of lightKristina1 is a glorious beacon of lightKristina1 is a glorious beacon of lightKristina1 is a glorious beacon of lightKristina1 is a glorious beacon of lightKristina1 is a glorious beacon of light
Kristina1 is a glorious beacon of lightKristina1 is a glorious beacon of lightKristina1 is a glorious beacon of lightKristina1 is a glorious beacon of lightKristina1 is a glorious beacon of lightKristina1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default having to cough up secretions after lying down

Lately I have to cough up secretions after laying down with the bipap all night. I am not sick and do not believe im getting sick. Is this because the bipap prevents normal clearing of secretions you might do in your sleep (throat clearing or grunting?). Basically im wondering if bipap is causing it or if it would happen anyway, and if so why?
Kristina1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:41 PM #2 (permalink)

Forum Moderator

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond repute

Forum Moderator

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: having to cough up secretions after lying down

I’m not sure of the answer, but are you prone to seasonal allergies? That could be a contributing factor.
KarenNWendyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:48 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

The BiPAP can contribute in a couple of ways. It can dry you out, so maybe time to reconsider the machine and room humidity esp. as the weather is changing.

It's also time to change your furnace filter, if not lately.

Also, if the settings aren't quite right, e.g. EPAP is too high, PS is too low, IPAP is too high or low, Vt likewise, it can make it harder to exhale which can result in retained secretions. I'd be happy to revisit those with you, or you can check with your RT.

Unfortunately, just lying down can contribute, too, so you might also experiment with the pillow/angle of your bed. And Karen is right that allergies can contribute as well. If there is any nasal stuffiness, a nasal steroid before bed can be worth trying.

Best,
Laurie
lgelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lgelb For This Useful Post:
KarenNWendyn (04-13-2019), Kristina1 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 05:14 PM #4 (permalink)

City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud of
City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud of

definitely sleep with head elevated.
my secretions worsened as a ability to swallow lessened. at least it seemed like that k. Really I just couldn't swallow the saliva.
azgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
Kristina1 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 08:12 PM #5 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud of
Very Helpful Member
Clearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud ofClearwater AL has much to be proud of

Kristina, is it phlegm/mucus (thickness/lumpy) or more like a saliva build up?

Last edited by Clearwater AL : 04-13-2019 at 08:18 PM
Clearwater AL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:48 AM #6 (permalink)

Thanks Laurie, settings are same as what you had helped me develop previously. I'll shoot you an email later to discuss if they still look appropriate.

We bought an adjustable bed for me so last night I increased the elevation and that did seem to help as I had no coughing this morning.

Clearwater, im coughing it up off my chest, but it is not too thick.

I do also choke on saliva sometimes in the middle of the night, it wakes me up choking and I panic immediately because the mask traps me making it hard to cough it out. But that does not happen every night.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:30 PM #7 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

Very Helpful Member

Kristina, as far as adjustments you are probably working with the best
working with Laurie.

The reason I asked was I was having a nagging problem with mucus
thinking it was coming from the BIPAP.

But what we found out was I had a mild case of bronchitis. Most cases
of bronchitis are not treated with antibiotics. But, I had a bronchitis that
needed antibiotics. I knew it wasn’t saliva because of the consistency of
what was coming up.

I didn’t feel sick, not like a cold was trying to come on. I felt ok other
than that… but it just wouldn’t clear up. The antibiotics did the trick.

Glad this is working out for you.
Clearwater AL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
Kristina1 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 03:26 PM #8 (permalink)

clearwater thanks for sharing thats definitely something ill keep in mind!

Tags
bipap, night, sleep