Old 03-10-2019, 06:46 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Lafayette
State: Indiana
Diagnosed: 09/2018
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
dldugan is on a very distinguished roaddldugan is on a very distinguished road
Default Exercise Program Suggestions

I had a few stretching exercises I was doing and can no longer do since I cannot sit in a chair any longer, or do the standing exercises for fear of falling. What do I now? Would a therapist help? ROM exercises?
dldugan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:59 PM #2 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond repute
Very Helpful Member

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exercise Program Suggestions

You could do some lying in a wheelchair (reclined) or bed or on the floor (if you have a way of getting up), or even in a recliner chair. It would be best if you had the PT show you. Ultimately, your wife or other caregivers will have to do passive ROM exercises with you lying down.

If you can stand balanced against a wall or counter, there might still be some standing exercises you can do. If you are seated in a wheelchair, slightly reclined, you may be able to do some of the seated exercises that way.

Do you have a power wheelchair yet?
KarenNWendyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:38 AM #3 (permalink)

Karen,

I have a loaner power chair and will be getting my own soon.

Darrell
dldugan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:49 PM #4 (permalink)

City: Minneapolis
State: Minnesota
Diagnosed: 04/2018
Doglady is on a very distinguished road
City: Minneapolis
State: Minnesota
Diagnosed: 04/2018
Doglady is on a very distinguished road

You can ask the PT and OT at your ALS clinic to give you some ROM exercises and of course - if they don't already know - update them that it's become hard to stand or sit and do the stretching exercises you have been doing. They will tell you some good ones you can do in a PWC or hospital bed. I hope you have an appointment coming up soon to discuss this otherwise just give them a call. Mine have given me printout's with diagrams and explanations as well as talked to me about each one. The doctor might also want to put in an order for a few at-home PT visits. Its good you are thinking about this!
Doglady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:31 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

Just a reminder that some leg work can be done sitting in the wheelchair with the legs vertical, and different exercises can be done with the leg rests elevated, as a platform.

Last edited by lgelb : 03-17-2019 at 03:10 AM
lgelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
chair, exercise, falling, fear