Old 02-28-2019, 07:29 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Lafayette
State: Indiana
Diagnosed: 09/2018
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
dldugan is on a very distinguished roaddldugan is on a very distinguished road
Default Need To Get Up at Night to Potty

Until last night I have been able to get out of bed to use a potty bucket. Last night I had to call my wife 2 times to get me up. I was able to get up a couple of times myself? I get up my using right arm an swing legs over side of bed. I donít even want to go to bed tonight.

I am a 77 YO male. What can I do now?
dldugan is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:43 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Poquoson
State: VA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
JimInVA is a splendid one to beholdJimInVA is a splendid one to beholdJimInVA is a splendid one to beholdJimInVA is a splendid one to beholdJimInVA is a splendid one to beholdJimInVA is a splendid one to beholdJimInVA is a splendid one to behold

City: Poquoson
State: VA
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
JimInVA is a splendid one to beholdJimInVA is a splendid one to beholdJimInVA is a splendid one to beholdJimInVA is a splendid one to beholdJimInVA is a splendid one to beholdJimInVA is a splendid one to beholdJimInVA is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need To Get Up at Night to Potty

If you can still sit up on the side of the bed and at least one of your arms work, you can use a portable urinal. You might need a chair or a stool or something to hold the urinal, empty or used... but that might be something workable for you. If you are finding that you are having difficulty sitting up, you could wear some type of Depends-like pad to bed.

My wife, so as to not have to get up during the night, minimizes her fluid intake in the late afternoon and evening. She makes up for it in the morning and early afternoon. Part of that is getting to know your body and the timing of how it cycles fluids.

Honestly, I like my sleep. But I'm up at least once a night to go to the bathroom, myself. Darcey doesn't need to go, but I move her. And I've told her... DON'T EVER HESITATE TO WAKE ME UP IF YOU NEED TO GO. I recognize that sometimes you just have to do what you need to do. Communicate. Talk about. Figure out what the TWO OF YOU need to do to make it work for the both of you. In reality, it might not be quite the problem that you imagine it to be.

My best to you both in working your way through this.

Jim
JimInVA is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimInVA For This Useful Post:
beauty4everyone (03-15-2019), dldugan (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 09:05 PM #3 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Diagnosed: 06/2016
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Lkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant future
Very Helpful Member

City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Diagnosed: 06/2016
Lkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant futureLkaibel has a brilliant future

Condom catheter. Worked great for my husband and no hands needed.
Lkaibel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lkaibel For This Useful Post:
dldugan (02-28-2019), frankb (03-03-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 09:26 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

Before ALS, did you get up 4x a night? Each time last night, did you really need to go -- that is, if you had this much fullness during the day, would you have gone?

If not, quality of sleep might play a role (you wake up more easily if you are in pain/overheated, etc.), so I would reassess your bed and environment for temperature, humidity, positioning, comfort, etc.

Some guys use condom catheters with leg bags at night, but of course other options are preferred.

If it is BPH, there are drugs that help. But the odds are against your suddenly getting a lot worse in that respect, so if you went from 0-60, I would look at possible root causes first.

Best,
Laurie
lgelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
wishmobbing (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 07:49 AM #5 (permalink)

Laurie,

Have been on medications to prevent this for years, but have still been getting up a couple of times a night for as long as I remember.

Darrell
Old 03-01-2019, 09:37 AM #6 (permalink)

City: Baden
State: PA
Diagnosed: 12/2011
grounded is on a distinguished road
City: Baden
State: PA
Diagnosed: 12/2011
grounded is on a distinguished road

I found that medical marijuana/CBD before bed has eliminated the need for night bathroom trips. I started taking it to help with sleep. It also causes a bit of dry mouth, but not too bad.
I see that THC isn't legal in IN. Maybe try a full spectrum CBD & see if that helps. I take Elixinol brand CBD.
grounded is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
frankb (03-03-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 10:03 AM #7 (permalink)

I am using CBD oil. Also taking Finasteride and Tamsulosin.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:05 AM #8 (permalink)

City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud of
City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud of

I limit fluids after four pm. Use extra absorption adult brief at night. If I do go it is wicked away from skin. I don't ever get up at night Except for mask adjustment . Make sure you get your fluids during day.
azgirl is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
beauty4everyone (03-15-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 10:48 AM #9 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a warning sign you need to be considering a new bed or assistive equipment? I have finally realized that the time to make a change is when things first start getting difficult. The hard truth is things are not going to get easier they are going get harder. Making an adjustment early saves energy, allows you to make a transition in an orderly fashion and lets it be a choice.

Mrs D needs to conserve strength too. Even if she needs to wake up can you make it easier for her? It sounds like you do not have a bed with the ability to raise the head? Even if you can’t operate the control she could
Nikki J is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nikki J For This Useful Post:
beauty4everyone (03-15-2019), dldugan (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 11:03 AM #10 (permalink)

Nikki,

Do you have a suggestion for getting help in finding a bed? And assistive equipment.

Thanks,

Darrell

@NikkiJ
Old 03-01-2019, 12:26 PM #11 (permalink)

City: Oklahoma City
State: OK
Diagnosed: 12/2018
Jamesgol is on a distinguished road
City: Oklahoma City
State: OK
Diagnosed: 12/2018
Jamesgol is on a distinguished road

I just recently made the change from getting up at night to staying in bed and finding alternative means. I've tried several different methods, including some devices with tubes. But, the easiest, simplest, and cleanest way for me, is to use a simple urinal. I keep two empty at the bedside and never allow them to get more than half full.
James
Jamesgol is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:47 PM #12 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Your doctor/ clinic an order a hospital bed. I don’t know that you have arm strength for a bed cane but you might look into that. A lift would be another assistive device. PT and OT could advise
Nikki J is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
dldugan (03-02-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 03:39 PM #13 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

We had a no-spill urinal which is fantastic. They are more expensive, but hey they are worth it
affected is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:27 PM #14 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you do, please make sure you get enough fluids. I inadvertently stopped measuring my intake (I was always a huge water drinker when I was active) and I became constipated and had complications from that.

I like Tillie's idea of a no-spill urinal.

Right now I get up several times during the night to go......times like this I wish my plumbing were different. That said, I would have no problem wearing a diaper or whatever allowed me to go when I had to go.
KimT is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
dldugan (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 09:46 AM #15 (permalink)

City: pennsyltucky
State: Virginia
Diagnosed: 09/2015
DrDark is on a distinguished road
City: pennsyltucky
State: Virginia
Diagnosed: 09/2015
DrDark is on a distinguished road

i am new here, so be patient with me. If you feel better voiding when you are seated, and you're taking finasteride and tamsulosin, this may be overflow incontinence.

These meds are a good choice for BPH, but your symptoms may be exacerbated by other meds you may be using. Many meds have anticholinergic side effects. Drugs to help sleep, decrease oral secretions, treat neuropathy, psychiatric meds, and even some inhalers can have anticholinergic effects that will exacerbate LUTS. You may want to bring all of your meds, including OTCs to your PCP or pharmacist to discuss if they are playing a role in your nocturia.

Another consideration would be checking the volume at each void. If you're only producing small volumes each time, that also suggests overflow. Your doctor may want to check your urine for sugar, protein, and infection. Also, measuring post void residual volume may be warranted. This can be done with an ultrasound, or by placing a catheter in bladder after you void.

Sorry for the rambling. I am still getting the hang of Tobii, and I haven't mastered editing yet. Good luck; I hope you get some relief!

Last edited by lgelb : 03-02-2019 at 11:08 PM Reason: paras
DrDark is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrDark For This Useful Post:
beauty4everyone (03-15-2019), dldugan (03-02-2019), ShiftKicker (03-02-2019)

Tags
arm, bed, night