Diagnosis
09/2018
Country
US
State
illinois
City
Mahomet
Until last night I have been able to get out of bed to use a potty bucket. Last night I had to call my wife 2 times to get me up. I was able to get up a couple of times myself? I get up my using right arm an swing legs over side of bed. I don’t even want to go to bed tonight.

I am a 77 YO male. What can I do now?

If you can still sit up on the side of the bed and at least one of your arms work, you can use a portable urinal. You might need a chair or a stool or something to hold the urinal, empty or used... but that might be something workable for you. If you are finding that you are having difficulty sitting up, you could wear some type of Depends-like pad to bed.

My wife, so as to not have to get up during the night, minimizes her fluid intake in the late afternoon and evening. She makes up for it in the morning and early afternoon. Part of that is getting to know your body and the timing of how it cycles fluids.

Honestly, I like my sleep. But I'm up at least once a night to go to the bathroom, myself. Darcey doesn't need to go, but I move her. And I've told her... DON'T EVER HESITATE TO WAKE ME UP IF YOU NEED TO GO. I recognize that sometimes you just have to do what you need to do. Communicate. Talk about. Figure out what the TWO OF YOU need to do to make it work for the both of you. In reality, it might not be quite the problem that you imagine it to be.

My best to you both in working your way through this.

Jim

Condom catheter. Worked great for my husband and no hands needed.

Before ALS, did you get up 4x a night? Each time last night, did you really need to go -- that is, if you had this much fullness during the day, would you have gone?

If not, quality of sleep might play a role (you wake up more easily if you are in pain/overheated, etc.), so I would reassess your bed and environment for temperature, humidity, positioning, comfort, etc.

Some guys use condom catheters with leg bags at night, but of course other options are preferred.

If it is BPH, there are drugs that help. But the odds are against your suddenly getting a lot worse in that respect, so if you went from 0-60, I would look at possible root causes first.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie,

Have been on medications to prevent this for years, but have still been getting up a couple of times a night for as long as I remember.

Darrell

I found that medical marijuana/CBD before bed has eliminated the need for night bathroom trips. I started taking it to help with sleep. It also causes a bit of dry mouth, but not too bad.
I see that THC isn't legal in IN. Maybe try a full spectrum CBD & see if that helps. I take Elixinol brand CBD.

I am using CBD oil. Also taking Finasteride and Tamsulosin.

I limit fluids after four pm. Use extra absorption adult brief at night. If I do go it is wicked away from skin. I don't ever get up at night Except for mask adjustment . Make sure you get your fluids during day.

Is this a warning sign you need to be considering a new bed or assistive equipment? I have finally realized that the time to make a change is when things first start getting difficult. The hard truth is things are not going to get easier they are going get harder. Making an adjustment early saves energy, allows you to make a transition in an orderly fashion and lets it be a choice.

Mrs D needs to conserve strength too. Even if she needs to wake up can you make it easier for her? It sounds like you do not have a bed with the ability to raise the head? Even if you can’t operate the control she could

Nikki,

Do you have a suggestion for getting help in finding a bed? And assistive equipment.

Thanks,

Darrell

@NikkiJ

I just recently made the change from getting up at night to staying in bed and finding alternative means. I've tried several different methods, including some devices with tubes. But, the easiest, simplest, and cleanest way for me, is to use a simple urinal. I keep two empty at the bedside and never allow them to get more than half full.
James

Your doctor/ clinic an order a hospital bed. I don’t know that you have arm strength for a bed cane but you might look into that. A lift would be another assistive device. PT and OT could advise

We had a no-spill urinal which is fantastic. They are more expensive, but hey they are worth it :)

Whatever you do, please make sure you get enough fluids. I inadvertently stopped measuring my intake (I was always a huge water drinker when I was active) and I became constipated and had complications from that.

I like Tillie's idea of a no-spill urinal.

Right now I get up several times during the night to go......times like this I wish my plumbing were different. That said, I would have no problem wearing a diaper or whatever allowed me to go when I had to go.

i am new here, so be patient with me. If you feel better voiding when you are seated, and you're taking finasteride and tamsulosin, this may be overflow incontinence.

These meds are a good choice for BPH, but your symptoms may be exacerbated by other meds you may be using. Many meds have anticholinergic side effects. Drugs to help sleep, decrease oral secretions, treat neuropathy, psychiatric meds, and even some inhalers can have anticholinergic effects that will exacerbate LUTS. You may want to bring all of your meds, including OTCs to your PCP or pharmacist to discuss if they are playing a role in your nocturia.

Another consideration would be checking the volume at each void. If you're only producing small volumes each time, that also suggests overflow. Your doctor may want to check your urine for sugar, protein, and infection. Also, measuring post void residual volume may be warranted. This can be done with an ultrasound, or by placing a catheter in bladder after you void.

Sorry for the rambling. I am still getting the hang of Tobii, and I haven't mastered editing yet. Good luck; I hope you get some relief!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back