Old 02-11-2019, 01:22 AM #1 (permalink)

City: Lafayette
State: Indiana
Diagnosed: 09/2018
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
dldugan is on a very distinguished roaddldugan is on a very distinguished road
City: Lafayette
State: Indiana
Diagnosed: 09/2018
dldugan is on a very distinguished roaddldugan is on a very distinguished road
Default Medication for skin issue?

Roughness and small scab on behind. I assume that this is because I sit 16 to 20 hours a day.. Any suggestions for a medication that might help?
dldugan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:36 AM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medication for skin issue?

Firstly you must change position often as no medication will work without pressure care.

Do you sit on a ROHO? These are really great for preventing pressure build up, but still don't replace respositioning.

Gentle massaging around the area as well as directly over the area with your choice of creams made for pressure care or even coconut oil is great. There are honey dressings that can be used to apply if the skin is broken until this heals.
affected is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
dldugan (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 03:36 AM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

It may take some experimentation to see what works best. Some of the options are:

grapeseed oil ointment
A & D ointment
cornstarch
wound honey

Keep area clean and dry, get enough nutrition and hydrate.

Make sure your seat cushion/mattress overlay are relieving pressure, and lean forward (or have someone help you) periodically and well, get a massage for the microcirculation...
lgelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:38 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Pittsburgh
State: PA
Diagnosed: 07/2007
Narrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Narrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond reputeNarrowminded has a reputation beyond repute

I swear by unrefined coconut oil. I’d tried all the others on Brian, but Coconut oil worked the best for us by far. Just my 2 cents
Narrowminded is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:00 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

The number one treatment however is to be shifting position every couple of hours and having the area around the scab massaged - your wife can google how to correctly do this pressure area care.

You have to think of this as a threatening pressure ulcer, rather than a skin issue. These can become very painful and a real game changer. Please let us know how you go.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 PM #6 (permalink)

City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Vincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to behold
City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Vincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to behold

My fave is Bag Balm. It was originally made for chapped udders, it moisturizes and has a mild antiseptic so sores can heal and not become an abcess. You can get it at walmart or farm supply stores. It sounds weird but it works!
Vincent
Vincent is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:02 PM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

yeah we have a product here brand name moo goo - started from recipes used for treating udders, no milk in the products as many people think by the name

lots of PALS here use it for fungal and skin issues of all kinds and it's brilliant so I reckon you are on the right thing there Vincent!
Old 02-16-2019, 01:45 PM #8 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Littleton
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Nuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Littleton
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Nuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud of

Nutrition can also contribute to skin breakdown. Once we started fighting pressure sores adding a protein supplement helped. If you are consuming a good diet, tuck this away for future reference.
Nuts is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuts For This Useful Post:
affected (02-16-2019), dldugan (02-18-2019), KateEmerson (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 07:04 PM #9 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

great point Becky! hydration too -you will be more prone to pressure and skin breakdown if dehydrated even moderately.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:17 AM #10 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

I agree with the good nutrition and hydration. I always made sure Brian got plenty of both through his feeing tube.
Narrowminded is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
hours