Old 01-09-2019, 07:02 AM #1 (permalink)

City: Lafayette
State: Indiana
Diagnosed: 09/2018
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
dldugan is on a very distinguished roaddldugan is on a very distinguished road
City: Lafayette
State: Indiana
Diagnosed: 09/2018
dldugan is on a very distinguished roaddldugan is on a very distinguished road
Default Sleep Number Bed

I am having some difficulty getting out of bed. Has anyone tried a Sleep Number bed instead of a hospital bed?
Old 01-09-2019, 07:30 AM #2 (permalink)

City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of light
City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of lightFirefighter58 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sleep Number Bed

I have a safety bar on a regular bed and it works fine, but I have no problems with arm strength.
Al
Old 01-09-2019, 11:23 AM #3 (permalink)

City: Sandy Springs
State: Georgia
Diagnosed: 10/2010
frankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud of
City: Sandy Springs
State: Georgia
Diagnosed: 10/2010
frankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud offrankb has much to be proud of

sleep number bed helps somewhat, but not ideal - - - still a struggle to get out of bed. discovered sleep number bed not ideal unless one has split mattress so that elevation feature can be operated individually. still haven't tried a hospital bed. side rail on old bed was of no use due to lack of sufficient arm strength. would like to see additional replies regarding how well the hospital bed works with persons having very little arm strength.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:14 PM #4 (permalink)

City: California
State: California
Diagnosed: 04/2016
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
diagnosed2016 is on a very distinguished roaddiagnosed2016 is on a very distinguished road
City: California
State: California
Diagnosed: 04/2016
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
diagnosed2016 is on a very distinguished roaddiagnosed2016 is on a very distinguished road

We have an adjustable bed from Casper with split mattress. Hubby can not get himself up out of it but it is helpful for me to get him out by raising his head up and he likes being able to adjust to make himself a little more comfortable. Casper adjustable frames and mattresses are very reasonably priced
Old 01-09-2019, 03:48 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

A hospital bed can be leveraged with whatever arm strength you have via the handrail(s), headboard or footboard with a trapeze or other kind of rope/handhold attached.

My husband's hospital bed did not have a headboard or footboard, we only installed one side rail that could go up/down (to hold the control) and it did not look institutional as many fear. So I would not hesitate to get a hospital bed for aesthetic reasons. And of course if/when you need a Hoyer lift to get out of bed, then you have the bed you need.

That said, everyone should choose a bed with progression rate/financial resources in mind.
Thanks from
dldugan (01-09-2019)
Closed Thread

Tags
bed, sleep