Diagnosis
09/2018
Country
US
State
illinois
City
Mahomet
I am having some difficulty getting out of bed. Has anyone tried a Sleep Number bed instead of a hospital bed?

I have a safety bar on a regular bed and it works fine, but I have no problems with arm strength.
Al

sleep number bed helps somewhat, but not ideal - - - still a struggle to get out of bed. discovered sleep number bed not ideal unless one has split mattress so that elevation feature can be operated individually. still haven't tried a hospital bed. side rail on old bed was of no use due to lack of sufficient arm strength. would like to see additional replies regarding how well the hospital bed works with persons having very little arm strength.

We have an adjustable bed from Casper with split mattress. Hubby can not get himself up out of it but it is helpful for me to get him out by raising his head up and he likes being able to adjust to make himself a little more comfortable. Casper adjustable frames and mattresses are very reasonably priced

A hospital bed can be leveraged with whatever arm strength you have via the handrail(s), headboard or footboard with a trapeze or other kind of rope/handhold attached.

My husband's hospital bed did not have a headboard or footboard, we only installed one side rail that could go up/down (to hold the control) and it did not look institutional as many fear. So I would not hesitate to get a hospital bed for aesthetic reasons. And of course if/when you need a Hoyer lift to get out of bed, then you have the bed you need.

That said, everyone should choose a bed with progression rate/financial resources in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back