Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
Even though I can still walk, I can't walk far. I went to a medical supply store to find a rollator. We now only have one store in town and they have quite a markup plus very limited choices.

I'm looking for:

1. Extremely light weight and easy to fold
2. back support and seat
3. place to carry phone, purse, water, etc.

I've looked at the Drive Nitro 4 wheel that has carbon fiber (Amazon)

The only thing that stopped me from ordering it was that the handles seem straight up and not tilted enough to keep my knees from hitting the seat while walking.

The Drive models seem to have better positioning of handles but are harder to fold and heavier.

At this point I don't care what it costs. I just need something I can quickly fold up and put in my RAV4 so I'm thinking it needs to be 12 pounds or less.

Any suggestions and any experience with Drive Nitro?

Thanks.

I have a Drive Nitro that I got on Amazon 6 months ago, and I’m happy with it so far. It has a pull-up handle which allows the chair to fold so it can be stored. Initially I could pick the whole thing up and throw it in the back of my car, but I’ve lost too much arm strength. After several months of daily use, my pull-up handle started to stick, so I’ve had to give it a quick jerk when I pull it up.

The Drive Nitro seems sturdier than your garden variety rollator. Has nice big wheels too. The mesh basket is big enough to carry a purse, bag, or sundry items. I get compliments on it all the time. Unfortunately I’m using pwc more now and walker less, but I’ve found the walker handy for use around swimming pools.

Larry had the Access Active and it was great. You are more "in" it instead of behind. There is an optional backrest, basket, etc. but it is 20 lbs. I had no problems lifting it myself (admittedly a two-stage lift sometimes, where I would get one side in and then the other), but you're in a different boat.

Karen,
How much assembly did it take?

Minimal assembly. I was able to assemble it quickly and easily, and I have a low diy IQ :wink:.

I have the Drive with the hand brakes, seat, pouch and the 8" wheels.
The hand brakes are a must.

I recommend the 8" wheels, kinda makes it all terrain... like going
over patio stones and brick walks and such.

But... the 8" wheels make it a little hefty.

I think mine weighs under 10 pounds. Can't find the book. :)

Edit: Found the book. May not work for you. Weighs 18 pounds.
(hx59jp walker 10243) I've been thinking that thing was getting heavier. :)

Sorry.

Last edited:
Like Karen I purchased a Nitro. Easy to use and I feel secure when using. Important for me was a good seat to use to rest. Take a look on Amazon.

Maybe there is another one I did not see On Amazon I saw what I thought you speaking of Kim for 600 something. Description says frame weighs 12 pounds and then when I scrolled down item weight was 15 and it was not shipping weight shipping weight was higher

I am thinking the item I looked at was sneakily touting 12 for frame and omitting to add weight of seat etc. the difference between 12and 15 probably seems trivial to them but could be the difference between posdible and not

Good point, Nikki. I'll check it out once again. Sometimes reading all the reviews helps. It got some very good and very bad reviews.

I actually like the cheaper models that have handles more of a tilt so my legs would never hit the seat but the ones I tried were too hard to fold or had seats that were very uncomfortable.

There was another on Amazon with pretty good ratings designed by Porche. It was 400 something as opposed to the 600 something for the Drive Nitro.

I'd like to see them in person but I don't want to drive to Orlando during the holidays.

Mine is the Drive Nitro Euro Style rollator in red. It was in the $200-300 range. I think it weighs around a bit less than 20# but I wish it were lighter.

You can also pick it up by the handle so it folds, and put it behind the front row of seats, right side up.

A colleague of mine saw me with it this summer and commented that it looked “sexy” (maybe it was the red walker, maybe it was me, I don’t know :) )

I liked the red one, too, but I ended up getting the lighter one in boring black. It'll be here Saturday.

I really like that easy fold up feature. I already have a lightweight transport chair, a power wheelchair, and another sturdy wheelchair. Too much stuff. The transport chair folds neatly in a corner. I'll probably donate my large sturdy wheelchair even though it folds because it's really large.

Thanks for the feedback. I almost bought another one that was really only 12 pounds total but there were bad reviews on the seat and customer service.

Gee, I see the girls like red. The Drive Nitro Euro is very stylish… makes my
black Drive Medical look like a military device. :)

But, what I do like about mine is the hand rails double as arm rests when I am
sitting in it.

Whatever works I guess...

Let us know how you like it Kim!

I will. I'm hoping my brother will get one when his daughter comes down next week for a three-day visit. He is very unstable and more at risk for a fall than I am. I ran out two weeks ago and bought him a shower chair and ordered grab bars for his shower. He has a seat in the corner but his shower is 4 x 5 and the rain shower doesn't reach the seat. He doesn't want to change the shower head and likes the portable shower chair because it's higher. Just hoping the grab bars get installed ASAP. I've been calling the company every day.

His wife wanted him to get a cane but I told her he needed a walker. She said she thought a cane would suffice. Their daughter, a physical therapist, left a message on my phone telling me her father needed a walker, not a cane. I think something got lost in translation but they can clear it up when she is here.

Look at this one:
Designed by Porsche Design Studio B+B Alevo Carbon Walker Rollator foldable and with comfort seat

Pricey but weighs 12lbs and folds very easily and pretty flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back