Old 12-14-2018, 02:22 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Coarsegold
State: CA
Diagnosed: 09/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Now stay at home dad is on a distinguished road
Default cold or flu with ALS is terrible!

this is the second time this year I've been down and out. The worst part is the breathing is extremely strained. that is nothing new and I have never used bipap or trilogy. I'm getting antibiotics tonight and so far my regimen is Musinex, breathing treatments with the mask and smoke stuff. Unfortunately the cough assist isn't working but I am able to cough up the gunk it's just hard to suction it because it's so far back.

any other tips out there? I actually slept well last night after having a terrible day but woke up today with a cough attack. I can't drink anything cause I have feeding tube. Thanks for all thoughts!
Old 12-14-2018, 02:28 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cold or flu with ALS is terrible!

Can you use a nasal spray? If you can consider both a steriod spray like flonase and a saline spray. Humidification. If your breathing goes south go to te ED.

I have a cold now too so very sympathetic. I am lucky my breathing is ok.guiafenesin ( mucinex) is definitely helping me as is the nasal spray

I lost my sister to complications from a cold which is why I suggest having a low tolerance for seeking emergency care

Feel better
Old 12-14-2018, 02:44 PM #3 (permalink)

Thank you, Nikki. I will have to try the nasal spray!
Old 12-14-2018, 02:52 PM #4 (permalink)

City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud of
City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud of

will the company supply cough assist come out with working one? That's what happens if equipment for breathing fails here?
Thanks from
KateEmerson (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 02:54 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure your furnace filters are clean, consider a room humidifier, a nasal steroid is a good idea, and you could try warm apple, pineapple or papaya juice in your tube -- not just against the mucus but to ramp up your hydration.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:48 PM #6 (permalink)

curious to see if anyone has used hyoscyamine to dry up secretions and what your experience was if you had tried. The hospice nurse recommended it but I'm just not exactly sure what the benefit is.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:53 PM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

I don’t believe in drying up secretions from a cold. You need to get rid of the virus as fast as possible not keep it inside you.
Thanks from
KateEmerson (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 05:05 PM #8 (permalink)

Forum Moderator

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond repute

Forum Moderator

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond reputeKarenNWendyn has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Nikki.

Main use of Hyoscyamine is to treat spasms of bowel and bladder. So in addition to drying you out, it may make it hard for you to pee and poop, and you donít need that.

Steroid nasal spray makes sense. I also suggest using a saline nose spray (ďOceanĒ or equivalent store brand). Squirt this up the nose then blow it out (or suction out if you canít blow) to clean out the nose, and follow this up with the steroid spray (Flonase, Nasonex, or equivalent).

Lots of hydration is key.

Best of luck.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:54 PM #9 (permalink)

thank you all. That has been very helpful!
Old 12-14-2018, 06:22 PM #10 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

To expand on Karen's comment, you/your CALS can sometimes take out nasal mucus with a baby bulb aspirator, such as are found in drug stores.

For those with suction machines, some people use an olive tip to suction out the nose, in addition to the standard attachment for the mouth.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:59 AM #11 (permalink)

City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is a name known to allFirefighter58 is a name known to allFirefighter58 is a name known to allFirefighter58 is a name known to allFirefighter58 is a name known to allFirefighter58 is a name known to all
Firefighter58 is a name known to allFirefighter58 is a name known to allFirefighter58 is a name known to allFirefighter58 is a name known to allFirefighter58 is a name known to allFirefighter58 is a name known to all

Do you folks in the US have flu shots. We in Ontario can get them from your doctor, your pharmacist, or at many Flu Clinics. I have been getting the shots every year for about the last 15 years and no Flu. They are free no matter where you go. Is such a thing available to you folks.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:14 AM #12 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

We get flu shots, yes. Mine is free. Unfortunately it protects aginst certain strains of flu but does not protect against cold viruses. And if they guess wrong on flu strains you won’t have the same protection. As we get older as long as our immune systems have not been compromised we have residual protection from previous exposures.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:12 PM #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki J View Post
We get flu shots, yes. Mine is free. Unfortunately it protects aginst certain strains of flu but does not protect against cold viruses. And if they guess wrong on flu strains you wonít have the same protection. As we get older as long as our immune systems have not been compromised we have residual protection from previous exposures.
Sounds like ours. Thx
Al
Closed Thread

Tags
als, back, bipap, breathing, cold, cough assist, feeding, feeding tube, flu, suction, treatments, trilogy