Diagnosis
12/2017
Country
Us
State
Virginia
City
Carrollton
Can Furosemide (lasix) cause lasting dry mouth even after stopping the drug? My PALS started having extreme dry mouth after I gave her the first dosage - 2 ML, 20MG. Prior to the Lasix she was producing excess secretions. The Pharmacist suggested halving the second dose but this produced the same result. Her PCP advised I stop the drug. I did stop but the dry mouth has continued for the past 8 days.

Other factors could be the usual dry cold weather this time of year but an in-line humidifier plus a space humidifier by her bed has had little effect. She swabs her mouth with cold water and toothette several times a day. Also tried Biotene mouth wash.

Lasix was prescribed by hospital doctor to help with fluid build up in her lungs which I think was wrongly diagnosed.

Ernie

The name Lasix literally means “lasts six hours”. Thus the effects of Lasix are gone fairly rapidly six hours after the drug is stopped.

It is likely that other factors are contributing to her dry mouth including fluid shifts in the body, CBD oil, BiPAP, humidity in the room, etc.

Dry mouth has been a huge issue for me with the CBD oil and the BiPAP. Greg suggested Xylimelts, and I find that lasts about 4 hours. Good luck with your own experimentation.

I also use CBD oil and a BiPAP at night. I keep Biotene Spray near the bed and a 3 or 4 squirts seem to resolve the issue enough that I can get back to sleep.

Karen/dldugan;

Thanks for your input.

Had not considered CBD oil. We have been using the oil for several months with good results.

Is the Xlimelts available over the counter?

Ernie

Found Xylimelts @ CVS

Thanks again

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back