Old 11-08-2018, 12:19 AM #1 (permalink)

City: Orange County
State: CA
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Loverly is on a very distinguished road
Default Massage for PALS and CALS in OC

Hi everyone, former CAL, Jennifer, here.

I’m still living in Orange County, CA and I’ve become a licensed massage therapist in the last two years. I’d like to offer massage to anyone in the area who needs it, PALS or CALS, no charge, of course. I contacted ALS twice, but haven’t had any meaningful response.

Any ideas? Massages can be given in chair, bed, or on a table, with clothes on, just on feet or hands, anything really. I’ve got the experience with my own PAL and a few elderly clients and friends.

I’m available, licensed and insured. I just want to help if I can.

Jen.

Last edited by Loverly : 11-08-2018 at 12:33 AM Reason: Adding information
Loverly is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loverly For This Useful Post:
John1 (11-08-2018), KateEmerson (11-08-2018), ShiftKicker (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 01:01 AM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Massage for PALS and CALS in OC

That's very generous, Jen, and I hope you're doing well. I certainly encourage anyone in the area to take advantage of Jen's offer.

Best.
Laurie
lgelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
Loverly (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 01:15 AM #3 (permalink)

Thank you.

I thought I had posted this in the CALS page. My apologies for posting in the wrong forum!
Old 11-08-2018, 01:20 AM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

I moved it to get a wider readership, since not all PALS have CALS who post here.
lgelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
Loverly (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 01:32 AM #5 (permalink)

Oh! Haha! Thought I was losing it! Thank you!

I would add for anyone unsure about contacting me, that I have been working with a chiropractor and at a spa, where they charge $100+/ hour for my work. I’m pretty good at it. 😁 I’m also a retired teacher. I’ve been through multiple background checks through the years, including when I was licensed to practice and I absolutely believe that caregivers need this kind of care too!

Don’t be shy.

Last edited by Loverly : 11-08-2018 at 01:42 AM Reason: More info
Old 11-08-2018, 02:04 AM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

How lovely to see you Jen!

Massage is amazing for both indeed.
Are you able to go to their home if it is difficult to transport the PALS?

This offer is truly beautiful and could make a huge difference to anyone who can take you up on this. I think that for a CALS, so often we are not being touched at all and just the fact of stopping and having a kind hand laid on, let alone the tension release can be incredible.

Someone understanding ALS and frozen joints etc etc who can massage a PALS is priceless. Thank you for coming back and being able to offer this. What a legacy
affected is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:03 AM #7 (permalink)

I will do whatever I can, of course! Unless someone truly wants to leave their home, I planned to travel to wherever I can help. I can go to the hospital, hospice, SNF, whatever. Unfortunately, I’ve got all the experience. I will bring whatever is necessary with me.

In the three years since Kathy and my dad died, I’ve become so lonely. Everyone leaves you when tragedy strikes. But we have to take care of ourselves. I believe in the therapy of human touch, and we ALL need it, no matter how guilty we feel or how little time there is. It’s the only way to keep going.

My business line is 949-500-9633. Call or text.

❤️
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loverly For This Useful Post:
affected (11-08-2018), dldugan (11-08-2018), Narrowminded (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 09:12 AM #8 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Pittsburgh
State: PA
Diagnosed: 07/2007
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Narrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant future
Very Helpful Member
City: Pittsburgh
State: PA
Diagnosed: 07/2007
Narrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant futureNarrowminded has a brilliant future

Loverly I certainly wish I didn’t live clear across the country. I would definitely take you up on your offer. Thank you for doing it for PALS and CALS in your area.
Narrowminded is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
Loverly (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:47 AM #9 (permalink)

City: mortcerf
State: Ile de France
Diagnosed: 10/2015
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
MarieLaure has a spectacular aura aboutMarieLaure has a spectacular aura aboutMarieLaure has a spectacular aura about

City: mortcerf
State: Ile de France
Diagnosed: 10/2015
MarieLaure has a spectacular aura aboutMarieLaure has a spectacular aura aboutMarieLaure has a spectacular aura about

Lovely your offer is so beautiful!
This disease unveils strength and beauty we had no idea of although we kind of guessed it was there somewhere
Love
MarieLaure is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
Loverly (11-08-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 03:22 PM #10 (permalink)

City: Iowa City
State: Iowa
Diagnosed: 11/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Statius@ is on a very distinguished road
City: Iowa City
State: Iowa
Diagnosed: 11/2015
Statius@ is on a very distinguished road

A truly wonderful offer. Almost make me wish I still lived in SoCal.

I now live way too far away to take advantage of it, but will endorse the benefits and relief offered by skilled massage. My wife & caregiver and I go every 2 weeks to a therapist we've been seeing for years and who taught herself how to modify her methods to accommodate my weakening muscles.

Ed
Statius@ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Statius@ For This Useful Post:
affected (11-09-2018), Loverly (11-09-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 01:05 PM #11 (permalink)

City: Pretty Much
State: Nowhere
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Jrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of light
City: Pretty Much
State: Nowhere
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Jrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of lightJrzygrl is a glorious beacon of light

Loverly,

Add me to that list of people who wish I didn't live clear on the other side of the country! Such a wonderful offer.

I am trying to find someone to come here to give my DH a massage. I think it would be great for him! And I wouldn't mind one either.
Jrzygrl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
Loverly (11-10-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 08:01 AM #12 (permalink)

City: Carrollton
State: Virginia
Diagnosed: 12/2017
Chincoteaguer is a jewel in the roughChincoteaguer is a jewel in the roughChincoteaguer is a jewel in the rough

Chincoteaguer is a jewel in the roughChincoteaguer is a jewel in the roughChincoteaguer is a jewel in the rough

Hi Jen;

Your offer reminds me of a song lyric: "please come to Boston" only in this case it's Virginia.

I do have a question. My wife does not allow much hand movement on her skin. Rubbing on ointment, for instance. She writes (can't speak) that this causes twitching. I think that massage would be good for a lot of reasons but with the twitching cannot recommend the process. Is there some massage technique that can be used that does not require the hand rubbing movement?

Ernie
Chincoteaguer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:10 PM #13 (permalink)

Hi Ernie,
There are a few things that you can try if an oiling stroke (that’s what we call it) is irritating. First let me mention that there are aerosol lotions if she needs that for moisturizing. Typically, if a person receiving is ticklish the answer is to move more slowly and to penetrate more deeply. But with someone as vulnerable as a PALS you have to be more thoughtful.

I would start with gentle squeezing over her clothing and see how she feels, or find one spot with a thumb, gently press into the skin and then move your thumb, pulling the skin under the thumb instead of grazing the skin. Does that make sense?

Try using other kinds of fabric between her skin and your hands. Satin, flannel, or wool. You could also try acupressure, which only requires pressure on points through the body.

You might also try gently rubbing her skin with a soft bath brush and then trying the massage to see if the brushing reduces some of the sensation. Last, you could try putting some peppermint or wintergreen essential oil on her skin before a massage in order to sort of temporarily confuse the nerves in order to give the massage.

Acupressure demonstration:

Thanks from
ShiftKicker (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:27 PM #14 (permalink)

City: Someplace
State: Ville
Diagnosed: 04/2018
beauty4everyone is a jewel in the roughbeauty4everyone is a jewel in the roughbeauty4everyone is a jewel in the roughbeauty4everyone is a jewel in the rough
City: Someplace
State: Ville
Diagnosed: 04/2018
beauty4everyone is a jewel in the roughbeauty4everyone is a jewel in the roughbeauty4everyone is a jewel in the roughbeauty4everyone is a jewel in the rough

*Unfortunately, I'm nowhere close, but what a
wonderful gift.
* I used to say, I'd never marry a man who wouldn't rub my back. Guess what I did.
*Therapeutic massage is good for the body, AND the spirit.
* Since humans are scarce, having 25 Lilliputians in boots tromping up and down my back, is a fanciful dream. (I wish!)
*Until then, I'll just have to use the substitute electrical heating pad with roller balls in it. A kind, caring, trained person is best, though. Thanks for being one! B.
beauty4everyone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:29 AM #15 (permalink)

Lovely,

Thanks for the tips.

You may know that with ALS things seem to change daily. The need to massage has gone away but will probably return.

I use several ointments including one called “2 old goats”. Yes that’s right. I get at the hardware store. Was recommended by a nurse friend. It is soothing and reduces pain. We have been using for about a year.

We have other ointments for intimate places “Secura” and special ointments for her heals. We were using a canabis cream but it was not effective for pain.

I will try the techniques you described.

Again, thank you.

Ernie
Chincoteaguer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote