Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
TN
City
Knoxville
i'm a first time poster but have followed this site since my mom was diagnosed back in august. i first wanted to say what an amazing community you have and how much you all have inspired me and what a big help you have been. the reason i'm finally posting is that i'm in a bit of a pinch. i'd really like to get my mom some things for christmas that might make her life a little easier. (she can still walk and get around, but has a lot of trouble speaking and also with her hands). i'm in grad school and got overwhelmed with end of semester stuff, and am ashamed to admit it but haven't done any research yet about what's out there. i was thinking of things that could maybe help you open doors or take lids off things, but really i have no idea. i was hoping some of you could give me some advice about any devices or things that have helped you. i am a broke grad student so don't have tons to spend, but i'd be willing to spend more if y'all think of something that really helps. i know it's last minute but any ideas would be a huge help. thanks.

Hi there. Welcome to the fourm, although I am sorry to hear about your Mom. And thanks for the kind words!

A lot of folks have had success with some of these products: http://www.sammonspreston.com/

ALso, my son is getting me an electronic door pass-key so I do not have to turn the deadbolt. The one he is getting for us has a programmable thumbprint system, but I hear the major stores like Lowes make dead-bolts that turn with a remote control device.

Personally, I like the key-turners, since I still drive. JMO. Cindy

If someone came and filled my freezer full of healthy, ready-made meals, I would be tickled pink.

Oh wait! Me too. I just revised my wish list!

Hey becca!

Love your name, would have named my daughter that if I had one!

Anyway- for my husband who is having trouble with his hands and arms -

a can opener for about 16 bucks at walmart (sits on top of can and goes round)
bigger lighter silverware
tempurpedic foam mattress pad
foam wedge for bed
zip front tops
jar opener
gloves with rubber dots on them to help pick things up outside

But your Mom would probably just appreciate seeing you at Christmas more than any gift you could possibly buy!:mrgreen:

thanks so much for all your great input! I really appreciate it. I'm definately going to do the freezer full of food - what a great idea! i'm also going to try to find some gloves with the dots on them. another thought i had after being home for a day and helping her was a nice looking watch that doesn't have a clasp, but instead a stretch band. i'm going to the mall tomorrow to look, but if anyone has a watch like this (and i'm not even entirely sure if they make them) please let me know where i can find them. thanks again! you all have been such a big help.

the watch

A great watch is one that is hinged on each side of the face - looks like a nice bracelet - mostly one size fits all - they are nice because you dont have a clasp and you dont have the pinching that hapens with the twist/flex kind... they are very easy on / off. Younkers JCPenny and the like - probably even department stores carry them
Merry christmas to you and your mom

My son bought me a romba Its a robot vacuum and my daughter a cleaning woman once a month for 6 months last year

Hi Becca!Guess what i got today....you guessed it a freezer full of food...i absolutely love it..MY sister in law went to a xmas party last night at her shop and got tons of containers full of different meals.. all i have to do is just heat them up?My husband is in the late stages of als..but still has a good appetite but i am so often tired just from caretaking i just dont have the time to cook big meals like i used to make for him!Also some of his other familly members brought other prepared foods for me ....The reason this is such a wonderfull gift is because it frees up some time for me to spend time on the forum or doing something i enjoy.As he is so sick i am afraid to leave him for long so i do not get a chance to grocery shop very often as well and the traffic this time of year is so stressfull when you are in a hurray!......SO THANKFULL FOR THE FREEZER FOOD......your mom will love it!......Gina

Pat -

Those are great gifts. Sign me up!

Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back