Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
IR
State
NY
City
Dublin
My dad has respiratory onset ALS diagnosed in May 2017, he still has full use of his hands and his speech and swallow are only minimally affected but he is really really weak can only walk assisted for 2 or 3 steps so he has a power wheelchair for getting around.
At first he would only need the NIPPV breathing machine at night but now he needs it all the time. My question is... how do you guys manage with the nippv machine on the wheelchair? have you attached it somehow? currently dad carries his (portable) machine on his lap if we are out and about in town but its pretty heavy so i don't think that's ideal.... any suggestions?

Which machine does he have and which wherlchair. Generally people have them in the back of the chair Exactly how depends on what he has

I think its called a NIPPY at least that's the name that's printed on it and his wheelchair is (very inapproriatly) named "Karma" (ffs! who thought that was a good idea!)... its a 6 wheel power chair that tilts backwards there would be room to hang the machine on the back in a bag but then he would have no control over turning it on and off.... was hoping there was a remote control version maybe or something that could be fitted to the side of the chair maybe. I dunno just wonderring how other people manage.

NIPPY is the UK term for BiPAPs. You can ask the equipment supplier or Karma if there is a "vent shelf" option and/or bag it can hang from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back