Diagnosis
09/2017
Country
US
State
FL
City
The Villages
Last Thursday I had a PEG or G-tube inserted. Procedure went well and it looks okay but very painful, especially when I move in certain ways. It was inserted because my breathing has become so compromised; therefore it will be dormant until needed. I underwent a "twilight" anesthesia but I don't remember anything. My prgression has been steady but slow; however, the sudden breathing issue is of concern (85% in January and now 48% in August). I heard anesthesia can sometimes accelerate progression, but hope that doesn't apply to me :???: Please chime in if you have had expereince with these "contraptions".

you will be very glad you got that contraption in place now. Make sure you keep it cleaned and flushed and should feel fine in a few days. Mine hurt pretty bad for a week.

Good! You'll not regret it! (once it heals ;-) )
btw, PEG is a type of operation used to place a g tube.
What you describe was likely another, similar, operation called a RIG.

Mine was quite painful and I needed narcotic pain relief for 2 weeks post op. Once it healed it was awesome though and has been a great benefit since then. I will suggest making sure the surgeon did not put the bumper on too tight. It can add a lot of unnecessary pain and discomfort. This was part of my issue post op. I learned from talking to other people with g-tubes that this happens a lot. The surgeons have you flat on your back, so when they put the bumper flush with your skin it seems fine then, but when you sit up and your stomach pushes forward it's way too tight. You can loosen it yourself to a comfortable position.

I would also do away with those split sponges they send you home wearing. All they do is hold wetness against the skin causing skin irritation (like diaper rash). Keep it clean and dry. Hydrogen peroxide can impede healing early on (skin breakdown), I prefer non-alcoholic witch hazel to gently clean the stoma. Air dry. I do like the cloth reusable tube pads, they wick moisture rather than holding it to the skin like the split sponges, but not everyone is a fan of them. Try things and see what works for you. Another thing is make sure you rotate the tube periodically, and avoid taping it in the same place every time, as that tends to cause more granulation tissue- a wet pink/red tissue that you might see growing around the tube. Do not be alarmed, while annoying, it's common and can be prevented with better stoma care, and treated/managed with hydrocortizone cream, or a product called granulotion.

If you are on facebook I'd advise joining the group "Adult tube feeding". There are veteran "tubies" on there who can help you troubleshoot any issue and offer tips and great advice.

The first couple of weeks can be a bugger. And as we all know narcotics are an issue with compromised breathing. Just keep flushing it 2x a day and clean the stoma by soaking a drain sponge in saline and soak for 10 minutes 2x a day. With intense pain 2 weeks post op I'd get checked for infection just to be safe. I had one after I had mine done.
Vincent

Ditto on previous posts about feeding tube.

I would add that using only water and q-tips to clean around tube entry has worked well for us. This was recommended by our clinic folks: "Don't use chemical solutions on a regular basis".

Also, we found that the tube holders available for purchase are made of materials that irritate my PALS skin. We started using my T shirts as a stop gap measure and kept refining the method until we now have several T-shirt based tube holders. All cotton with no adhesives, elastic , or Velcro.

T-shirt tube holder:

Starting from the bottom of the T-shirt cut 7 inch wide horizontal bands (you may get three from each shirt). Cut each band so that it is now a strip. Wrap the strip around the body like a belt and then tie with overhand knot. Roll the tube into the band and cover with PALS top garment.

We also started using non-cotton T-shirts that have a smoother texture and do not hold the summer heat. We are saving the cotton ones for colder weather.

Gravity feeding vs plunger is our preferred method with frequent water flushes.

Last edited:
I have my tube over year and half and still not need it but getting closer every day.

But really my cals bullets breakfast lunch and that gets in me via straw so just another kind of tube

Had mine replaced after a year they do wear out

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back