Old 08-11-2018, 11:05 AM #1 (permalink)

City: Someplace
State: Ville
Diagnosed: 04/2018
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
beauty4everyone has a spectacular aura aboutbeauty4everyone has a spectacular aura about
beauty4everyone has a spectacular aura aboutbeauty4everyone has a spectacular aura about
Default Helping Others Help Us

Salutations of the Day
*Having ALS seems unreal. I wake each morning reminding myself I have it. Checking to see what I can still do. Yesterday, my knees buckled and I collapsed. Luckily, I could hold myself off the floor until my family dragged me up into bed. Leg strength to raise myself from the floor no longer exists. I hope my arms hold out for a long time.
*Tomorrow is the Big Day: Telling Church Sunday school friends I have ALS. Each of us will tell our own class the same morning. No one can say some were favored over others. Their knowing confirms itís real. Our family is strong together; telling others face-to-face is difficult. I hope I can say whatís needed without crying.
*Itís important to think how friends can help. If they ask, tell them. Some drift away because they are afraid of saying the wrong thing, or donít know what to say or do. We have to educate them. Make them feel needed. Ask for hugs, cards, calls, a meal, a visit. If you donít hear from them, call them. Tell them you miss seeing them. Plan to go out together while you can. Remind them, you are still you. That you HAVE a disorder, you are NOT the disorder!
*Reach out, take their hand, tell them how meaningful their friendship is. Do whatever is comfortable for you.
*Those who love you will stay. Others will not. It wounds our heart, but let it go. As my husband once told me, ďConsider the sourceĒ. I too, have a heart wounded by friends. It has been difficult, but thereís a time to lay it down. There's still a world out there. I imagine caring people on these forums can become new friends. "Hope springs eternal".
*May you discover something today to lift your spirit. May blessings abound. B.
Attached Thumbnails
Helping Others Help Us-minion-moment-18.jpg  
beauty4everyone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to beauty4everyone For This Useful Post:
Bestfriendstilltheend (08-11-2018), Erika (08-11-2018), Jane (08-11-2018), Jrzygrl (08-11-2018), KarenNWendyn (08-11-2018), KateEmerson (08-11-2018), KimT (08-11-2018), MarieLaure (08-12-2018), Narrowminded (08-11-2018), pittsburghgal (08-12-2018), sassy (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 04:41 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helping Others Help Us

B,

Your faith and sense of humor is evident to all. I "lost" many friends and all my relatives (I don't have a husband or children) after my diagnosis. They are too busy, not really concerned, or too scared to be around me. I had my church family for a year. Then our pastor left, we got a new pastor, and the church split. There was a lot of tension and I've church hopped ever since.

Now I'm in a new condo with a housemate but I've made new friends. There's no way of knowing if they'll stick with me but, for now, they fill some of my days with happiness.

I hope you consider me a friend. If you ever want my e-mail address, just send me a message and I'll give it to you.
KimT is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:54 PM #3 (permalink)

City: Calgary
State: Alberta (AB)
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Bestfriendstilltheend has a spectacular aura aboutBestfriendstilltheend has a spectacular aura about

City: Calgary
State: Alberta (AB)
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Bestfriendstilltheend has a spectacular aura aboutBestfriendstilltheend has a spectacular aura about

Beautifully written, B. Good luck tomorrow and if you cry telling your church group, that makes you human and that's a beautiful thing.

Hugs to you.
Bestfriendstilltheend is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:55 PM #4 (permalink)

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant future

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant future

People are always telling me to let them know if there is anything they can do to help. I tell them to spend time with me, that their presence is a gift.

People are always afraid to say the wrong thing. I tell them they canít fix this, that there is really no wrong thing, but that they donít have to say anything if they donít want to.

ALS can be a very isolating disease, especially in its later stages. I donít want to be isolated. I tell people that. But people have their own lives. Iíll keep trying to reach out. Weíll see what happens.
KarenNWendyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:43 PM #5 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: New York City
State: New York
Diagnosed: 02/2018
Hudson is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: New York City
State: New York
Diagnosed: 02/2018
Hudson is on a distinguished road

B,

Your post lifted my spirits.

As terrible as ALS is, I have found one silver lining. Various people I was once close to have heard the news and reached out to me. The expressions of love and support have been wonderful.

Hudson
Hudson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:49 PM #6 (permalink)

All your responses warmed my heart. Sharing your strength and willingness to move ahead in spite of circumstances gives others courage, too. Thank you so much for sharing. It means a lot to hear from you. More later. May blessings abound. B.
beauty4everyone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
als, bed, crying, family, heart, hope, lift, love, wrong