Diagnosis
09/2017
Country
HR
State
Croatia
City
ZAGREB
I read science works where "mice with ALS" are used. Since i have ALS (3 years+) that makes me wonder. Do mice get oxidative stress when they realise that cheese it out of "use best before", or what? If science can not detect ALS in humans, how they can detect it in mice?

As in many neurological diseases, the mice models of the past are giving way to better models as we learn more, Jethro. The way it works is researchers "give" the mice a genetic form of ALS.

With MS, ALS, Alzheimer's and other conditions, what works great in the mice most often used to date, doesn't always work in people. The brains and spines are very different, just for a start.

It would be more realistic to use other animals, and sometimes that is done, but that is much more expensive and you still have to get to human trials.

So you are right in suggesting it is going to take more than curing the mice.

Before mice, I read about zebra fish, even worms... I'll die and will be born again before they even move. On ENCALS in GB nobody mentioned even mice...

The mice are bred to have one of several known gene mutations seen in familial ALS. I believe the fish and worms are bred similarly.
Vincent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back