Feeling of something stuck in throat - bulbar starting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherise77

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
07/2018
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
My Dad has started feeling like something is stuck in his throat and concerned that bulbar symptoms are starting. I wanted to see if this is in fact how it can start in some PALS.

He takes a bunch of vitamins in the morning and then does a light work out/yoga and that’s been when he notices the feeling. Like one of the vitamins is stuck. This has happened two days in a row now and last for the remainder of the day.

I thought possibly acid reflux after taking all the vitamins and working out. Thoughts?

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

I can't speak to the disorder. I do take vitamins with food to help them slip down, especially Capsules. One side of the throat may be more susceptible to a sticking problem. Aging can affect ability. I sincerely hope he finds a solution. May you discover something today that brings you peace. May blessings abound. B.

It is always better to take vitamins with food/drink and preferably put some space between loading up the system and working out.

There is really no point to trying to discern what's "bulbar" early on and what's not. True dysfunction like coughing, choking, less comprehensible speech is hard to miss.

It could be the effects of the disease, but there are a few other things that can definitely affect swallowing.

Before getting too concerned, you can figure out if what you mentioned above is the issue:
Asking your dad to delay yoga for a couple hours after vitamins (or taking the vitamins after)
Ask your dad to take vitamins with food and/or drink if he isn't already.

Another thing to consider is if there is any other new medication your dad is taking. If he's taking a muscle relaxant or anti-spasticity medication, this can affect swallowing. Also talking to the clinic SLP about your concern. You don't have to go in to the clinic to consult with the SLP- you can email your concerns and get some feedback that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back