Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
I need to share this with people who know what im going through.

I am very shaken up after worst laryngospasm to-date last night. I have been getting them over the past year, and this one was ten times worse than any ive had before. I went to breathe in and hit a rock solid wall. I tried to speak to tell my family I need help and not a single sound came out. It stretched on and on and I was sure I would die right there at the dining room table in front of my three young children. My husband wasn't even in the room. He came in because I guess they yelled for him to help, and he held me in his arms and started talking me through it. I don't even remember him coming in just that somehow he was holding me and I was hearing his voice. It finally, finally started to release, and then it was sucking air through a too-small straw for several long minutes.

The rest of the night I couldn't stop panic attacks just being in the dining room. I cried myself to sleep and I still feel so afraid. I don't want to die like that. It made me realize how much I need to be careful eating. I dont just mean the laryngospasms, but I could choke, and unlike the spasm, it wouldn't release eventually. It could really kill me. And I am sitting here scared to eat. Looking at food and just seeing a loaded gun.

Im sorry if I sound over dramatic, Im just shaken to my core. It's not my first time having one, but in the past my husband helped me calm down and they released. This one lasted so long. And didnt start to release til he got in the room to help. What if it happens and im alone? What if I can't calm down by myself and I really do die that way?

I hear you Kristina. I had one a month ago. I was alone, and it was frickin scary. Somehow I was able to eventually burp and swallow, and it ended. I don’t know how to advise you but am also interested to hear what others say.

Thanks Nikki, I just saw the video in that post of the maneuver, Ill have my husband practice it with me and we'll see if it helps next time. Most of my triggers are food related. I get small more managable laryngospasms from honey (i know that sounds weird) or really intense chocolate. Carbonated beverages, and pepper. I always thought it was the pepper grain itself, so we stopped putting pepper on our food. Last night we cooked some chicken thighs in buffalo sauce. I didn't think twice about it, because we didn't sprinkle pepper on anything. I took a bite and as soon as the spicy taste hit my throat I was completely suffocated of breath with no warning, just immediately and completely. Obviously I now know I need to avoid anything spicy, not just black pepper.

Karen, mine too usually end in a series of hard, almost painful burps and convulsive swallowing. It's weird but somehow it helps it stop.

Mine occurred after drinking cold carbonated water, and some of it went down the wrong way. I’ll check out the Larson maneuver video.

Thanks for the link Nikki.

i try to bend my head down and breath through my nose. i dont know if it really helps or just gives me something to focus on outside of the panic.

Kristina, you don't sound overdramatic at all. You're shaken to the core of your existence and I hope you feel better prepared with the maneuver and the knowledge of what Nikki said. It's not a solution to go unconscious to loosen the spasm, okay, but I you tell yourself that the worst that could happen is blacking out to release the spasm that could help with or rather against the panic.
It's so wrong you and others shoulf be frightened by food.

Breathing through my nose helped me as well. I agree they are scary as hell?

My wife and I were told by the doctors at Mayo, that these won't cause death due to the fact that with the lack of oxygen, you will pass out first, and the spasm will stop. just try to make sure you are seated, as you will most likely fall. I know it doesn't make you feel any better, but it makes sense. We purchased hard plastic straws, cut them in about 3 inch pieces, and kept them everywhere, and I mean everywhere! She could purse her lips around the hard straw, which limits your air intake, and the spasm always passed. Eventually she was able to do that without the straws, but they helped her train herself how to stop them. Yes, these laryngospasms will scare the hell out of you and anyone there to witness it, because you feel so helpless! They need to be the hard straws so you don't bite them closed. I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
gerry, you and nikki are right about passing out, i dont know why that didnt occur to me. i never heard of the straw strategy, i will try that, thank you.

Scary indeed. Happens to me all the time. The further u tilt your head down or tuck your chin ,sooner it will pass. Try not to panic. ( hard to do when r choking.) but they are right. When u pass out the spasm relaxes. I’ve passed out several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back