Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
I received a Permobil M300 loaner from my local ALS Society a few months ago. I've been having fun with getting out and about, especially now that the weather is nice. But one problem is that the ride is really bumpy. For example, when I go over sidewalk cracks it feels like I'm really hitting hard. I've adjusted the springs to the "A" position, which I believe should be the softest. The technician that set it up for me did not seem that knowledgeable, so I thought that I would see if anyone on the forum had any ideas before I give the medical supply place a call. Thanks for any help.

Different tires? Pneumatic tires are air filled so absorb bumps better for a softer ride. They can be punctured and require regular maintenance. Semi-solid tires are air and foam tires with solid inserts to prevent punctures. They provide medium cushioning and require some maintenance and replacement.

The major maintenance with the air-filled ones is filling with air whenever needed, but they could be overfilled in terms of your comfort, and you can release air with a pen. We used a tire gauge to keep them at a certain level [that I cannot recall, but you can experiment].

Casters also wear down (lose tread) and that could affect lateral movement, causing spinning in turns. A loaner quite possibly has worn tread. Keeping both the wheels and casters clean, if only by going through puddles occasionally, is important for traction and predictable movement.

Try to take cracks slowly and at a slight angle.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks ladies - looks like all the wheels on my chair are solid. Maybe that is my problem? I'll see if I can get them changed out.

Just a followup - I received new air-filled tires last week. They've made a huge difference. I still get bumped on any unusually large cracks, but the chair now takes the smaller ones fine.

thanks for reporting back - I'm glad it's made a difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back