07/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
Hi All,

Wanted to let you know something that you may not. This is Medicare rules.

Brian’s eyegaze computer blew up a couple of months ago. We have it back for repair. Here is the kicker.

You have to go through all the same paperwork you did when you purchased it. And you need a face to face with their Dr. and those notes need to include that the eyegaze needs repaired. Yes, your physician has to order the repair.

I understand they need a face to face to order the machine. But if it breaks you need to go to the Dr and have him/her tell you it needs repair and order the repair.

Now for those of us with PALS that can only travel via ambulance, that is no small feat and also quite expensive, as it’s not an emergency. Here where I live would cost about 2000 for the round trip ambulance ride.

I got a out of pocket quote for the repair 2828.19, so they have us over the barrel with these computers. I probably should have taken the computer to Best Buy geek squad, probably would have been less expensive, as it’s the computer part, not the eyegaze module that needs repaired.

Just wanted you to be aware what it takes if your machine breaks.

Thanks for the tip. If your PALS has a windows 10 computer it has a beta app called EyeControl. Team Gleason is working on it with microsoft. Just go into the ease of access in settings. It doesn't work until you have the tobii camera hooked up to the computer. It doesn't need the expensive tobii camera either, it works with the tobii EyeTracker 4c ($200). It works similar to WindowsControl. It has keyboard, scroll and a text to speech app. Best part is the app is free on the latest update on windows10. Not ideal yet, it is a good work around for when the dynavox is on the blink. no pun intended....
Vincent

Is their any organization in your area that makes house calls? Does it have to be the same person who ordered it originally to do the repair order? I think it is any doctor that can sign off. It doesn’t take being board certified in neurology to see that Brian needs this. Or is it too late now?

Last edited:
Nikki - yes it is the company we ordered it from originally and no it doesn’t have to be the same physician that originally ordered it. It can be any Dr. However, house calls around here are like pulling teeth.

I do have an ENT that comes on the sly to change his trach. If I can’t get a note from the neuro, I will try the ENT. However, the ENT doesn’t have “notes” on his visits and I’ve never been charged, nor has medicare. He is a very kind soul. I’m guessing there are no notes, as it might create other issues for him professionally.

Brian no longer has a PCP and hasn’t for years. Partly due to not being able to get there and then the guy retired. It’s a little hard to get a new one, when you can’t get to the office and no one around here makes house calls.

Its funny as I thought I lived in a decent size city, but in many ways we are very backwards here. It’s weird because we’ve had many first medically with Dr. Starzle and innovative transplants etc. But beyond that, forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back