Diagnosis
05/2005
Country
CA
State
Ont
City
Carleton Place
Hi Everyone.. Haven't been around for awhile..Life just has me running these day... Oh I am better known as Countrycouple.. But now here as Redneck Charger..

As I said haven't been around for a bit.. Been very busy running for Mom who is suffering from ALS.. ALS has taken her over.. I remember writing long long time ago.. 2 years maybe..about Mom being diagnosed and things for her don't look good.. I look back at pictures..and Mom seemed perfect then.. Mom is 69 years old..and now looks about 90..and sounds like she was 98 years old.. Friends new and old can't belive how Mom has changed in the last little bit.. I am not being rude to anyone..and I really hope you don't take it that way..

Mom is now in a nursing home, permently in a wheel chair.. Is almost just skin and bones.. Has a very hard time talking.. specailly near the end of the day.. Have a appointment on the 17th of this month to get her introduced to a speech board..

Ok.. ok.. I know I just go on..and on.. The question is.. Is there another way to use the bipap.. Mom's face is getting so small and she is using the smallest mask.. when she lies down..it isn't doing alot for her.. so am wonderin if there is anything other then the mask...

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day..:oops:

Hi Redneck/Country Couple. Nice to hear from you again. Sorry Mom is failing. I don't have a lot to say about the bipap. Just wanted to say "hi". Cindy

Hi Redneck/Country Couple. Nice to hear from you again. Sorry Mom is failing. I don't have a lot to say about the bipap. Just wanted to say "hi". Cindy

How ya do'in..Nice to see a familar face around again..

My mom was on a bipap for 8 weeks prior to her passing away. We had tried several different masks but her face also got rather small so the best for her were the nose pillows. Thankfully they worked well for her. Anne

My mom was on a bipap for 8 weeks prior to her passing away. We had tried several different masks but her face also got rather small so the best for her were the nose pillows. Thankfully they worked well for her. Anne

Hi Anne.. Just rplied to you.. But then get a message my reply is to short.. and seemed to have lost it all..

So what I said was Hi Anne..Thank you for your response.. Just wondering if a nose pillow was plastic..and about 8 to 12 inches long.. about a inch in diameter.. and did the air pillow do the same as a mask was suppose to do?

I use a air pillow and itss better than a mask for me I dont fell caustiphobic and they come in sizes for your nostiles and the elastic goes around your head and is ajustable good luck Pat1

Sorry just read your posting now....the nose pillows are a soft rubber. They just sit inside your nostrils. Check out the web site that Al posted above. The nose pillows did the same job as the face mask. The last 3 1/2 days that my mom was alive and in ICU they piped oxygen through the bipap machine. Often they would try to put on a regular face mask and even the smallest one was too big but the main problem was that she was caustiphobic. The nose pillows worked the best and she was much happier with them. Anne

Sorry just read your posting now....the nose pillows are a soft rubber. They just sit inside your nostrils. Check out the web site that Al posted above. The nose pillows did the same job as the face mask. The last 3 1/2 days that my mom was alive and in ICU they piped oxygen through the bipap machine. Often they would try to put on a regular face mask and even the smallest one was too big but the main problem was that she was caustiphobic. The nose pillows worked the best and she was much happier with them. Anne

Thanx Anne.. Will check them out and talk to the nurses.. Mom's face is just to small for the mask now.. She's not getting the fullness out of the mask..:mrgreen:
Mike

Hi charger! I hope you find a solution for your sweet mom's bipap use. It is so hard to watch a loved succumb to this damn disease! I know exactly what you are going through. I pray to God your mom will have a peaceful departure. I know that you want to be with her till the end, do just that, you will never regret it. It's painful to watch them take their last breath, but deep down it helps to be with them till the end. You will carry that image with you for a while, but knowing that you were, or will be there for her helps a lot. It soothes you. After they are gone just remember them as they were before they got sick. God will grant you that comfort. May God bless you, and your sweet mother. Keep us posted. Hugs your way!

Irma

Hi charger! I hope you find a solution for your sweet mom's bipap use. It is so hard to watch a loved succumb to this damn disease! I know exactly what you are going through. I pray to God your mom will have a peaceful departure. I know that you want to be with her till the end, do just that, you will never regret it. It's painful to watch them take their last breath, but deep down it helps to be with them till the end. You will carry that image with you for a while, but knowing that you were, or will be there for her helps a lot. It soothes you. After they are gone just remember them as they were before they got sick. God will grant you that comfort. May God bless you, and your sweet mother. Keep us posted. Hugs your way!

Irma

Thank you Irma for the kind words.. and support..

Hi Redneck. I don't know if this will help but my face is too small for even the smallest nose clips or mask. I get leakage all the time and there is nothing more annoying than having air blowing in your face!

I "pack" the mask area with material. Sometimes I use cotton balls or hunks of cotton batting like they sell for quilt makers, and sometimes I use snippets of foam. My latest favorite is foam wedges like the kind they sell for make-up removal. I wedge it in between my face and the places where the air leaks. Just a thought...Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back