Diagnosis
02/2018
Country
US
State
RI
City
East Greenwich
I need some advice. My husband was diagnosed in January and fortunately has slow progression with the thought it may be flail leg.
Today with temperatures in the high 90's, he decided to golf with friends and passed out. He was transported to the er with facial lacerations which required stitches. They did a routine cardiac check and his troponin level was fine but his ck level was elevated. They rechecked it and it went from 950 to 1050. The dr was concerned but I told him it was 850 a few months ago. Should I call the neurologist or is this just typical in some people with als as the disease advances.

Thanks
Sassy

Last edited:
I'm not a doctor but I don't think the little rise in CK is a bad thing.

CKs can indicate muscle injury, like falling over or having a heart attack, muscle disease and other stuff.

I read research that says ALS patients might have a moderate rise in CK levels, They wrote that a doubling of the CK level was "moderate" for ALS.
Good news, though. A British study concluded that higher CKs in ALS are related to longer survival.

In ALS, falling can be esp bad, even fatal. Most folks, if they fall--even when unconscious--will make slight adjustments on the way down that reduce injury. At some point in ALS, however, the speed of making adjustments--if you can make them at all--might be too slow to prevent serious injury.

Folks on this board for a long time have learned a lesson about this. It is:
When you have ALS, Do. Not. Fall.

Since he fell, he presumably had muscle trauma. That could account for the excess elevation in CPK. So can dehydration. Persons with ALS can have elevations of CPK and other muscle enzymes, and levels up to 1000 are not unheard of. Fluctuations are common and may reflect periods of changes in disease activity.

Hydration and rest for the short term are important,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back