Diagnosis
11/2017
Country
US
State
MN
City
Detroit Lakes
I think Static Electricity is the cause of ALS.

People in the Military.

More active people.

Guam.

Familial susceptibility.

ok.

everyone has a pet theory.

What makes you think so?

Exposure over time to certain types of electricity was written up a while back. Hasn't panned out so far but is part of the Registry studies.

ok.

everyone has a pet theory.

What makes you think so?

On a personal basis I have experienced static electricity shock fairly commonly.

The ice cream doors at Walmart for instance when ever I go there and open them shocks me almost every time and even again and again.

I have learned to brush them slightly at first to let off the charge.

I realize this is common in our modern world.

I also have a shock like that sometimes when just sitting or laying in bed that will jolt me from within like an electric shock and my whole body and brain jolts and jumps and stiffens for a millisecond of a hard hit.

I have had that one fairly routinely over the years sometimes milder and sometimes sharper and my whole body jumps and I never like it.

The article talks about electromagnetic fields which is unrelated to static electrical shock. The normal human body cannot feel or sense the presence of a magnetic field. If electric shock was a major factor in ALS, then electricians would be the most affected.

I worked more than 30 years around electrical power lines and I do not believe that electromagnetic fields or static shock were the cause of my ALS. Take my word for it, you can get a static shock from an electromagnetic field around power lines, I have been in places that everything you touch will give you a static shock.

If either of these were a cause, I would know more people or even one person, who had been diagnosed.

I have a friend who graduated with honors from MIT and he cracks up any time low frequency electronic waves are mentioned as a cause of disease. His point being that for anything to cause cellular damage of that type it would have to be a smaller wavelength than the cell to cause a mutation. And electrical waves as transported over power lines are too long of a wavelength (60hz) to cause disease.

https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitt...ngproductsandprocedures/tanning/ucm116425.htm

https://science.nasa.gov/ems/10_ultravioletwaves

Years ago, I too, got zapped quite often when I touched stuff. Still happens sometimes. I realize now that it was always related to humidity/dryness. Certain clothes, shoes, carpets (or not) can make a difference. I developed a habit of touching the car door and the house door with the back of my hand before I went through, to prevent the shock in the fingers.

But causing ALS? Doesn't seem to have a theoretical basis, as pointed out often in this thread. Static is static, not EMF.

ELF freqs at exceptionally high power, used in very special (usually secret, government) projects might do a lot of weird stuff, though.

I also have a shock sometimes when just sitting or laying in bed that will jolt me from within like an electric shock and my whole body and brain jolts and jumps and stiffens for a millisecond of a hard hit.

What is that.

I have had it for many years.

I don't see it described anywhere.

It's like a buildup of electricity inside of me that triggers itself.

Sometimes light and sometimes hard.

Sounds like a lot of things, really.

Look at hynogogic jerks.

Does it feel like electricity ( put your tongue across a rectangular 9 volt battery to compare the shock) or is it just a full body spasm?

Is it when you are relaxing?

I can't remember the last static shock I had. Never really had an issue with static electricity. EVER. There's always some new theory, usually promoted by a snake oil salesman looking to empty your bank account. Now chemical exposures, I could go on for hours. My theory is that we have a genetic abnormality that when exposed to a trigger causes this cascading loss of motor neurons.
Vincent

It's usually when I'm getting ready to go to sleep and I will usually sense it coming for just an instant and hope it's not a hard one and it hits just as instantly and often times a full body hit and snap lasting only about a fifth of a second and gone.

Not a spark like static electricity.

Whole body and head instantly.

Sharp and hard leaving me in pain momentarily.

I thought it would be something everybody or a lot of people have and not me only.

It might happen once a week or less.

Common to me but uncomfortable and dreaded as it occurs.

Sometimes fairly slight and other times sharp and hard and painful instantly like a shock.

Makes my body jump and I moan when it hits me.

It's really common and called a myoclonic jerk :)

I get them sometimes, it's not linked to ALS or any disease.

Yeah, it's a nocturnal myoclonic jerk, as Tillie said. It's not related to ALS.

I started having leg jerks while asleep when I was 28. I didn't know it at the time.
After a couple of years, it changed. I began to feel the "need" to jerk just before the movement. You can't stop it. You have to bounce.
After a decade, it became bodywide. Occurred just before sleep, whenever I would relax in a chair, or when sitting in a car or airplane for a couple hours.
Another decade passed, and now it can hit me almost anytime of the day or night. My arm, leg, or whole body can jerk so hard it'll knock me out of my chair.
Your neurologist might prescribe clonazepam/Klonopin or pramipexole/Mirapex or gabapentin, perhaps. There are newer solutions, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back