Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
this is happening more frequently. Our strategy is to remove bipap, it makes it impossible for me to clear anything from throat, and tip my chair forward until we can spit out or suction the saliva and gunk.
Laurie wrote this on another thread.

ote: If someone is gasping for air on an ongoing basis, they most often have the wrong BiPAP settings and could be years from death. Sometimes temporary changes are needed, too. For example, both target volume and backup rates should be turned off during prolonged coughing/choking in favor of static Ipap epap.

should we be doing this? Is there time to make the change. I can still be off bipap for short amount of time. Concerned about when I can't anymore.

So that's what I meant, if you still need to be continually on BiPAP but then there is gunk, change the settings while the machine is still on (or have this as your 2nd profile if the 2nd is not being used), to switch modes so AVAPS is off and RR is 0. You may also want to change trigger sensitivity according to your experience when this is going on.

And yes, tilting forward and having someone hold you in the middle is good.

once again, Laurie to the rescue. Would never have thought of this . May need help setting up but will email if trouble.

thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back