Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
OR
City
Southern Oregon
Question for those who are losing or have lost their ability to sign their name— is there a procedure for obtaining a legal signature stamp in the US? Is this something useful and worthwhile exploring? Looks like this problem is on the horizon for me. Thanks in advance.

Karen, I am pretty sure this is a state by state thing, that is, there is no universal process. Obtaining one is a pretty straightforward process with most stamp making companies able to provide one. Whether it is legal to use for all your needs and what process you have to follow to use it should be outlined in state law. When I had my signature stamp when I worked for the state, my agency had a formal set of rules for its use and required me to authorize in writing which team members could use it in my absence.

I did a quick search for Oregon and found that it is legal under state statute to use for voter registration and voting as long as the user is disabled and the disability prevents the user from signing. Beyond that nothing came up.

Dave

Last edited:
When I was an administrator at the college, I got one at Office Depot and used it at work and at home. I signed my checks with it. Nobody ever questioned it. My handwriting has never been good. I write like a doctor:lol::lol::lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Dave, thanks for taking the time to run a search for me. I truly appreciate it.

Kim, I’ve actually always had great penmanship along with a unique signature. The other day I was handwriting a note and suddenly had difficulty gripping the pen and completing the note. This is the first time this has happened, so it was a shocker to me. Another gift from the monster.

So the deeper issue really is what happens when we lose the ability to sign our name. For now I can use thicker pen grips, but this will be a temporary fix. :-(

For a while after I was no longer able to write, for electronic PDF files, I scanned my signature and would cut and paste it where it needed to go.

We have a Power Of Attorney (medical and legal) so my wife signs everything where my signature is required.

Matt

Losing my ability to grip a pen and write or even just sign, came about a year and half after dx. We set it up through a paralegal for my wife to have power of attorney for my signature only. Not for medical decisions, but to sing any legal document. I don't know if you have someone with whom you trust and will be available, even down to doctor appts. It might be a longer lasting solution, or at least some thing to think about for the future.

After someone at our clinic recommended it I consulted our lawyer who said it would serve as a legal signature in any situation (at least in Iowa). My handwriting keeps getting worse and I keep putting it off, but intend to do it this week.

Ed

+

Consider getting a stamp for your signature to loved ones especially as your signature is distinctive. It will mean a lot to them

Last edited:
I signed everything for Chris once he couldn't. But he continued to sign for quite a while even though it no longer looked like his signature ...

I signed for my brother as well once he couldn't. The ALS clinic gave him this funny looking little pen he was able to use for a bit of time. Not sure what it was called. Again a short term fix but it extended his being able to sign a little longer.

It’s sounding like the answer to my question is:

1. Building up grips for writing implements (I’ve ordered some my OT rcommended).
2. Establishing a legal power of attorney who can sign for the PALS (I have a health care POA but will check with my attorney about the other).
3. Getting a signature stamp
4. Checking with one’s local voting office — in my case it’s the County Clerk’s office).

Losing one’s hand function is scary!

Thanks for all the ideas.

It truly is scary. You got a good game plan here

Little anecdote : last year there were several votes. My father could still sign but with some difficulty. When he got to the register table he sat carefully and said to the woman in charge «* Sirry but this might take a while because I can’t use my hands properly, would you be so kind as to slide the register exactly under my hand ? «*
The woman seemed to concentrate and said «*sure but this might take a while because I can move only very slowly. I have Parkinson’s. What’s your problem ?*»
Then they chatted through the signing process.
Thanks for this thread because now we have to consider plan b for signatures

If it is something that can must be done in person, like voting if you don't have mail ballots, a witnessed "X," or horizontal line, that can be accomplished by someone else's moving your hand, is usually sufficient, if you ask. That's how I used to admit patients with little motor function to the hospital (as both the witness and the hand mover), and that is how Larry registered to vote when we last moved. But there are not that many signatures required in person any more.

For everything else, I just wrote his signature off camera or if transmitting a file, pasted in a signature scanned from the past.

Also, I sign my brother's name for him all the time. Karen, you plan sounds good. I know how hard it's been for you. I often listen to the piece you played on You Tube. I have it bookmarked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back