High cholesterol slows progression???????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassy

Distinguished member
Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
02/2018
Country
US
State
RI
City
East Greenwich
A neurologist told my husband that high cholesterol may slow progression. Has anyone heard of this????

One of my doctors couched it in slightly different terms and stated high cholesterol is considered neuroprotective. However, I have not seen any scientific literature backing this up. It could be observational- your husband's doctor sees their patients with high cholesterol have slower progression? I'd ask the neuro for more info for sure.

That was the thought a few years ago (high cholesterol's being neuroprotective); however, subsequent studies revealed that BMI (height vs. weight) was actually the factor correlated. That is why PALS are advised to maintain weight, with a possible ideal BMI (there are calculators on line) of 30 - 35.

Again, correlation doesn't mean causality, but since we know ALS has something to do with metabolism, it makes broad sense that nerves need more of an energy cushion to protect them.

There was a study that indicated a bmi close to 31, high uric acid and high cholesterol correlated with slower progression. Correlation is not the same as causation. Further work indicated high cholesterol was not an independent variable even ETA ( Laurie types faster than I)

it is very interesting. it could lead to a cause of als. obviously, lipoprotein (lipids&proteins) membrane of motor neuron and it's permeability is damaged, so intake of fats, hence elevation of cholesterol, even bmi can act as a kind of patch.
bmi is consumers direction. body builders could have huge bmi without gram of fat if you consider just their height and mass. muscle is heavier than fat!

My neurologist also said that relatively higher cholesterol was desirable and my GP. agreed with him.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back