Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Yakima
On the banks of the mighty Columbia River, there's a park and boat launch named White Bluffs. The usual rocky basalt walls give way to this bright sandy bluff along the river.
May, 2015, when I wasn't ventilator dependant and requiring someone to use the companion control on my wheelchair, I had my one son take me here for a trail ride. This was one of many trail rides I enjoyed while I could.

Bruce
(typed using eye control on a Tobii I12+)

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 346
Looks a bit dangerous but fun. Bet it is good to get out of the house. Be careful not to fall off a cliff!

Very nice! The wheels on that chair seem to be appropriate for off-road travel.

Nice wheels, Bruce. I'm glad you shared one of your memories.

That is beautiful, thanks for sharing your memories with us.
Last summer shortly after my boyfriend's diagnosis we travelled through Oregon and California. We only saw a small yet very scenic stretch of the Columbia River between Portland and Hood River. Later on the trip we stayed with truly magnificent couchsurfing hosts who just were on a river cruise on the Columbia. Said it's more fun than cruising an ocean, much more to look at, very relaxing and a great way to travel if you're somewhat handicapped. She has a condition where moving can be very painful at times and told me that she was perfectly content staying on board enjoying the view while her husband and others got off the boat to explore.
Oregon made a huge impression on me. I want to go back there someday and travel north. Your pictures are a fine commercial for Washington!

Here's another ride up in the White Pass of the central Cascades, again in 2015

Attachments

• 20150609_164320.jpg
    20150609_164320.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 342
  • 20150609_164411.jpg
    20150609_164411.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 288
That looks like a Magic Mobility F6 (sold in the US by Innovation in Motion). I have the Magic Mobility X4 and dream of upgrading to an X8 someday.

I love the pictures. What beautiful country! Glad you go to explore those places in the wheelchair!

Here is a picture of me riding the X4 in Yellowstone.

Steve

Attachments

• 20170929_130708.jpg
    20170929_130708.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 299
Bruce, that headrest bumper is a great idea. We had a couple run-ins of technology vs made to measure closets that nearly had me fainting. ;)

Hey Bruce,looks like a frontier extreme X8. That's my ride also. I thought Steve and I were the only crazies in this group.atta boy git out and rock it.

Cranberry wilderness area in WV

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 297
My ride is Frontier V6 All Terrain, works well indoors with a different set of 3 inch wide tires and wheels. :)

Do you trail-riding dudes (Bruce, Steve, Chally) have. different chairs that you use for trails vs. smooth surfaces? Or do you merely swap out the wheels when you want to go off-roading?

Chally: Riding inverted is a neat trick. You need to teach me how you did that:) On a serious note, I am really glad to see pictures of you out on a trail.

Karen: I do both. I have a 4 wheel drive wheelchair with small ATV tires. It works great outside, but has a limited range of about 5 to 6 miles. I also have regular as well as mud/snow tires for my 3 Permobil wheelchairs. The mud/snow tires are a great help when riding the Permobil wheelchairs on trails, but I manage to do quite a bit with the regular foam-filled tires.

Steve

I have a wheelchair jack. Takes a friend less than 10 minutes to swap off-road wheels for conventional non-marking drive wheels. Wife gets upset with the black marks on tile floors and torn up carpets from running the AT tires inside!

Well thanks to tax payers the VA. Got me two PWC.

A fro flr off road , And a Permobil F5 for easy street stuff both great rides

Often asked which I like. Best. My answer is In the F5 never lets me forget I am in PWC

My frontier as I cruse around I feel I am ride a harley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back