Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
PA
City
Zelienople
I would appreciate advice/counsel/wisdom regarding having to go two to four times per night. I'm still able to get myself to the bathroom but I'm concerned about managing it when it's time for a chair. I also have BPH (enlarged prostate) and that doesn't help. My urologist seems to be reluctant to do surgery now since (apparently) ALS can affect bladder function.

Are most PALS using urinals in bed? What about indwelling catheters (supra-pubic or foley)? Are they a benefit or more trouble than help?

For PALS with BPH - did you have prostate surgery? Did it help? Or result in unwanted side-effects (like incontinence)?

Thanks,
Bill

There are many portable urinals you can use in bed. I have some male PALS friends who also use condom catheters when they're out in public.

First an inexpensive urinal will work, don't get thinking that a more expensive, sleek looking device is better. They are used for only one thing. We use the urinal from bed and from the chair. When we leave home, we take one with us and look for family bathrooms or ones that my wife and I can go in together.

As to the condom catheter, I have used them also, but only from my chair and I stay home by myself. But it could be used in bed and it would make it easier in the middle of the night. Just a little hint , if you decide to use the condom catheter, you will want to do a little manscaping before use. Taking them off can be a little painful if you don't do a little trimming.

As to the BPH I have no experience there.

For guys, a long neck urinal reduces splash -- one like the NRS long necked male urinal shipped from the UK via Amazon. I don't know what others do, but once transfers entailed the Hoyer, we never transferred Larry just for urinating -- just used this urinal, or a UriBag if we were out.

Later in the game, the regular hospital kind with the shorter, angled neck became a better choice, probably related to his breathing -- he tolerated less recline in the wheelchair but up to that point had preferred that position.

PS -- the "spillproof" ones aren't.

Last edited:
We had a spill proof one and it was perfect and definitely could not spill. I even stood at the toilet several times wondering why it wasn't emptying doh!

Bill, my husband, Frank, has the same problem. He has BPH and was urinating as much as 5 times a night. I had to hold the urinal because he can't move his arms or hands and I was getting very little sleep. We started using condom catheters at night and this made such a difference. In the beginning we had problems with them frequently falling off but now I am a pro at putting them on and we have very few failures.

His BPH has also caused difficulties with taking atropine drops. He is very reluctant to take them because they make it more difficult for him to urinate but without them he is coughing and choking from increased saliva/mucous.

Sharon

I wear a condom catheter tubed to a leg bag. I normally don't need to go overnight but when I do, I have no worries and go into the leg bag. You could also connect the tube to a bed bag or let the tube drain into a jug for larger volumes.

We tried a couple different types of external catheters before we found the one I have been using for almost the past 2 years. I believe most manufacturers will send a few free samples and a sizing guide to get the correct fit.

At first we connected the catheter to a tube with a cap. When I had to go, we would remove the cap and drain the tube into a urinal. We get smarter and connected the tube directly to the leg bag which was much better because I go whenever I want.

The whole process started after I could not walk and was in the wheelchair all day.

Matt

I am very satisfied with a condom catheter. I use one day and night, since losing all function of my arms and hands. For in bed, hang the bag off the side of the bed and gravity will prevent back up and condom failure.

Either the use of a supra pubic or a Foley catheter is destined to result in infection.

Bruce
(typed using eye control on a Tobii I12+)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back