Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
NY
City
Hudson Valley
I have a permobil corpus f3 Wheelchair.. I can't drive it anymore but I can still change my position using toggles which my bent fingers can manage, but this is getting more difficult.

an omni switch has been recommended but I'm not it will work for me because of the way I position my hand at the edge of the arm, behind the toggle buttons. The omni would be mounted flush with the arm, leaving no space for my fingers to rest. I'm afraid it might be too sensitive.

all this to say, does anyone know of a way to make the toggles more touch sensitive, kind of like the jelly bean button does for my door bell alarm ? the nu motion rep said there wasn't, but he is also the person who would profit by getting me the omni. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

Kathy

There is a lot of flexibility with how the Omni is mounted. You just have to figure out a mounting position that will allow you to interact with the Omni's touchscreen with your mobility limitations.

The Omni can be programmed in a variety of ways to accommodate your needs.

I bought a used wheelchair that had an Omni controller and a head array. All of the wheelchair functions where available through the head array, including driving and positioning the seat.

I do not yet need an Omni or head array, but am glad I have them for when the time comes.

Others may know of better solutions. Based on my limited experience, I think it is likely the Omni controller could be adapted to your needs.

Is there any way you can try one out before committing to buying one? Like most wheelchair stuff, they are stupidly expensive!

Steve

Again, I would consider a midline mount [commercial link is for the only standards-tested system, made by my former employer] for more control over whatever hand function you have, whether with your current toggle switches (I am not sure the sensitivity of those can be adjusted much since they are mechanical switches) or a new interface like the Omni. For those without any finger function, the midline also supports chin controls, phones, tablets, etc.

Steve, can you show a picture of your omni.
My controls are getting harder to use.
Thanks

What type of switch is proposed? The Omni, at least the one I am familiar with is more of a controller that is an interface between controls and the wheelchair. The Omni does have a mode button and arrow buttons, but they are normal buttons and I would not consider them super sensitive. My Omni was originally configured with a super sensitive micro joystick and a fiber-optic switch that was programmable. When I was no longer able to move my fingers I got a head array that plugs into the Omni controller.
Matt

I found this Omni brochure and manual on the Internet this morning.
Matt

Attachments

• r-net-omni_brochure.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 278
  • pgdt_omni_manual_SK78813-07.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 408
Have they tried a head control on your chair? They also have sip/puff controls. There are lots of ways to control your chair without hands. This sounds like a consult with an OT or your clinic. In the end Steven Hawking had control of one muscle in his right cheek. It was amazing what he could do with that one muscle and eyegaze.
Vincent

Here is a picture of the Omni Controller and Head Array on my Permobil C350 wheelchair.

This picture was taken before we adjust things to fit me, so does not really give a good idea of the flexibility of the Omni Controller mounting options.

I would not be able to use the chair as configured in this picture because the back is not high enough and there are no lateral thoracic supports.

Since this picture was taken, we have replaced the Omni Controller with a traditional LCD joystick and ICS module, replaced the back with a much taller one, replaced the head array with a headrest, added lateral thoracic supports, and made numerous other adjustments so the wheelchair fits me. It now fits great and is very comfortable for me.

We have kept the Omni Controller and Head Array to use in the future, because I anticipate needing it someday.

Steve

Attachments

• 20170901_211209.jpg
    20170901_211209.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 389
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back