Diagnosis
12/2017
Country
US
State
SC
City
Charleston
Officially notified my employer I will be retiring on May 18th. Certainly a few years earlier than planned. Cannot thank them enough for how well they have treated me since my diagnosis in December.

I know the feeling of going out a few years before planned. Once all the paperwork is done, it will be a relief.

I had over 6 months sick leave and my employer let me stay on the payroll while waiting for Medicare to kick in. It saved me some money because they kept paying my insurance premium in full.

My employer is letting me go on long term disability starting then so I will also continue to get paid. Will be able to bank some money too since I also get a VA disability check and am also eligible for SSDI.

My husband will officially retire this summer, about 20 years earlier than anticipated. His employers, too, have been very supportive. It's nice to hear that your employer has been supportive and understanding during this transition.

MJALS a quick note. DH gets long term disability as well as SSDI, however the LTD only pays the difference between what SSDI pays and what they would pay if you didn’t have SSDI, so don’t think you’ll get a double check that way. :). I don’t know how the VA fits into all of that as well

Hugs,

Sue

My long-term disability is reduced by my SSDI too. The LTD only lasts until I'm 66 and it's only $1,200 a month because my SSDI ended up being $2,400 a month. The LTD was only calculated on my 9-month contract, not the actual amount I made so it was a severe cut in income. I ended up having to take my $5,000 a month pension in a lump sum because of my life expectancy.

So far I haven't had to touch the lump sum because I sold a condo for cash.

It's such a shame that finances are dictating many of our end-of-life choices.

I beat freedom 55 by 5 years. I stopped working on November 28th 2014 at the age of 50. I really enjoyed my work making artificial limbs and braces and the social interaction was nice. All in all, I can't say I miss it. I have had way more time with family and friends. I have done some of the carving I've been meaning to do. I've also learned to live on 2/3 of what I couldn't afford to live on before. I have taken the time to slow down and enjoy the simple things.
Vincent

My husbands LTD is reduced by the SSDI, but because he owned 10% of the company he makes WAY more than when he was actually working. The VA compensation doesn’t seem to affect either the LTD or the SSDI.

VA compensation for service-connected disability has no effect on Social Security; you get full SS and also full VA. You also get full military pension if you served 20 in the military. Also, VA benefits are non-taxable.

I get three government paychecks each month: Military pension, VA compensation because my wife died due to service-connected ALS, and Social Security Survivors Benefits. I'm not rich, but I'm in no danger of poverty, either.

Like so many here, I also quite work much earlier than I expected. I loved my job and planned to never retire. I figured I would work well into my 70s or 80s. I reluctantly faced the facts head on and decided I needed to stop working.

Stopping work has had a huge impact on my life. It seems like I did insurance and assorted paperwork for the first 6 months after I went out on disability. I don't know how we would have accomplished that with me working.

Stopping work also dramatically slowed down my progression. It has also allowed us to travel while I am still able to do so.

I miss my work terribly, but know that there is simply no way I could work anymore.

I have private long term disability as well as SSDI. Like others have reported, the benefit from my private long term disability policy is reduced by the amount I receive from SSDI.

Good luck as you make this transition!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back