11/2017
Country
US
State
TN
City
Memphis
Peg tube installed Friday... now what?

I don't need yet, but had it installed while still ok.

Have not removed bandage yet...

What care do I need to do if I don't use for a year? (or more

(I hope)

You might want to read the attachment. It has a lot of great information. There is also a facebook group called Adult GTube Feeding that has additional information.

Attachments

• Enternal Feeding Care and Maintenance of the Stoma Site and Feedining Tube.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 419
I cant believe a dr put a tube in you that you dont need yet. Do not use it. Keep eating healthy food for as long as you can. I wish i could swallow food. I have peg over a year and hate it. Keep area clean and free of infection.

ALS clinic advised me to get it installed while I was still healthy enough for surgery!

I don't plan on using until need arises

I didn't know what I need to do to keep it clean if I don't use it.

I got mine a year and a half ago to get it while I was still strong. My breathing had dropped below 50% and I was having trouble swallowing pills. I still only use it for medications. I'm glad i got it before breathing was more compromised. My only advice is to flush the line daily with tap water, and to soak the stoma in saline 1 a day. Oh and use drain sponges between the plastic flange and your skin.
Vincent

Have had mine over a year and still not feeding with.
Flush once a day, like burping air out my belly thru it .
Yes keep it clean at site .
I tape the " dangly" to my newly acquired gut .
Glad I got it done when I had stamina FVC was 48 at the time.
Not to bad to get use to.

Good luck

Chally

Goldie putting the peg in early, even before it is needed is good practice, we know this from the collective experience of many PALS over many years.

Romeo do just keep it clean and flush some water every day. If you are having any trouble getting enough fluids in flush with a couple of glasses of water and then enjoy what you do drink :)

Went to the pulmonolgist today. He recommended a peg for the same exact reasons that have been discussed here. I can still eat, but my breathing is down a bit. I didn't have any questions for him because I was already well informed thanks to our PALS and CALS here.
I'm probably going to schedule within the next few months.
Staying ahead of the game is important!

Wife took off bandage and cleaned with 1/2 hydrogen-peroxide solution

We were surprised! We thought it was just the stub to connect to... much larger than we thought since we don't plan on using yet!

What do most people do to secure excess until needed?

We used a " universal tubing securement device " as shown below . The underside sticks on your stomach like a bandaid and the top has a Velcroed piece that lifts up to place the tube and secures it when closed. I've also included a picture of it securing the tube. It worked very well for us and especially helps prevent the tube from being pulled on. Hope this helps, Kate

So sorry, I cannot figure out how to add the pictures. Please click on my name and go to my pictures if you would like to see them.

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

I love the literalness of the name. If I'd stick a piece of duct tape on my PALS that's what I would call it, too. Just to make it sound more official.

The name definitely fits with my personality as I've been defined as having " concrete" thinking ! But on a serious note, I provided the exact wording and label to help if anyone wanted to order them as I spent too many tortured hours on the internet not knowing what the given industry called something. The other nice thing about these is the adhesive was gentle on my husband's extremely sensitive skin.

I secure might with a 6" wide Ace bandage that has velcro on either end. The velcro 'grabs' the bandage to hold it in place instead of using metal clips. Since the bandage is elastic I can make it as tight or loose as I want it.

You can also use elastic nets that are designed to hold bandages, IVs and PICCs in place. Those come in all sizes including sizes that work for folks like me who tend to the heavy side.

Both the Ace bandages and the Nets are available through Medline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back