Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
I've seen mention of similar issues before but can't find something exactly like-

I have suddenly developed shiny bright red toes on my left foot. Hot to the touch. It is not the joints, but under the skin on top and running forward to the tips of my toes. Not super swollen, but enough to make the skin shiny. It started quite suddenly earlier today and seems to be slowly spreading back towards the top of my foot. One toe on my other foot has just started to feel the same. No itching, some burning and sudden excruciating pain when I bump my toes into things (often these days, for obvious reasons). With the pain has come a sudden noticeable increase in spasticity in the same leg.

I've been less active recently, but continue to do my stretching and exercises to keep the edema down. I walked a little further today than usual.

Does this sound like a circulation issue due to lack of activity?

*I've had both gout and chilblains before and this is not like either.

Possibly Raynaud's. Caused by vasospasm. Stay warm.

I found at least a half dozen very different possibilities. Might take a rheumatologist to sort it out. Google "shiny red toes."

I'm not a doctor, don't even play one on TV. Just googling. Hope you feel better soon.

TtRe: Red shiny painful toes

Being hot and spreading could indicate infection

My first inclination was infection but its appearance on the other foot made me think twice.

My toes are red but only because they curl and my running sneakers irritate them. You said you walked more yesterday than usual. Is something irritating your toes when you walk? Maybe Karen can weigh in because I'm thinking it sounds more like rheumatoid.

I always have hope that things like this are not ALS.

My first thought was chilblains which is a circulatory issue. It’s not rheumatoid. It could definitely be aggravated by decreased mobility. My suggestions would be one baby aspirin daily with food to help circulation (assuming you have no issues with aspirin). Also, foot massages daily, keeping feet warm, elevating feet when seated, and alternating foot ware to make sure the toes aren’t rubbing.

Do you have edema (fluid retention)? That can also cause issues with the toes. Same suggestions above would apply plus restarting sodium intake.

Fiona,

I have the same thing going on also mostly with my left toes but I also notice general minor swelling without the redness and burning up to my ankles. That part isn't as noticeable because my feet and ankles are bony to begin with but I can tell. Sometimes my right foot is affected but not as much. I first noticed this all developing with decreased activity two or three years ago. Summer heat and extended sitting makes it worse. Sometimes in winter I don't notice it at all. Doctor checked my ankle pulse and it was fine so I got the usual advice of elevating, etc. I like the idea of an aspirin a day though. I would also add that sometimes my toes look dark purple/blue without swelling or discomfort. I'd be interested to know what your doctor says if it's something different than a circulation issue. Good luck.

Kathy

Thanks everyone for the advice and input. I have an appointment with my doc tomorrow but will definitely head to a drop in clinic today if it gets worse suddenly.

I admit, infection was what I was worried about because it was really sudden. The fact it was starting up on the other foot was a relief to me too until I started thinking about sepsis. Yep, it's possible to have irrational health anxiety about something other than ALS/MND! I took an NSAID last night before bed as I had a mild fever, which is gone today. Toes still sore on impact and red but no spread further.

Mike, there is NO WAY you're going to get me to google anything about feet :lol: I'm damaged just with people posting tongue pictures. Graphic pictures of unhealthy feet would take days to recover from! I do have Reynauds (since I was a kid) but have never experienced anything other than cold white/purple fingers. I had no idea it could go the other way and become red and hot instead. I jest about the googling feet- I really do appreciate the advice. Search terms- "RED HOT TOES" right?

Kim, it's a good call. I remember thinking as I pulled my socks on yesterday morning that my gran used to turn hers inside out so the the toe seam did not irritate her feet. My subconscious may have been telling me something.
*note- this really works if you have edema or sensitive skin. I used to do this it all the time when I played derby and my feet were taking a beating from my skates.

Karen, thanks for the advice about Aspirin. My older lady dog is going to have to share her stash with me now. I'm already taking her glucosamine. She's a golden retriever, so she's really good about sharing. I do have very mild edema. When I first became less mobile it was terrible and caused bruising. I have exercises I do regularly to keep everything flowing and keep my feet up when I am seated. This routine has reduced it to almost nothing. I do take a fair amount of salt already to counter weird bp
issues.

Kathy, thanks. It's true about the bony feet- it can make swelling less obvious. I certainly will post if the doc does anything more than say to keep an eye on it.

Thanks again, everyone.

Agree w/ massage -- on the soles of the feet, rub slowly upward from tips of toes into lower leg even if there does not seem to be fluid buildup, and not back down. I would not rub on the top of the foot.

I don't know what your exercise regimen is, but don't forget ankle flexes and toe flexes, both scrunching the toes in if you can and tiptoes up and down, both standing (e.g. holding on to the counter) and seated at different angles, or whatever is possible.

Update re: toes.

Doctor has referred me for an NCV and an ultrasound, as well blood test for some marker or another. She didn't think it was a neuropathy, as sensation is normal, but wanted to eliminate it nonetheless. Agrees not chilblains or gout. Noted slight swelling, difference in colour from other foot, no joint issues, sees no circulation issues either.

A mystery!

An ultrasound makes sense. I wonder if the marker she’s checking for are antiphospholipid/ anticardiolipin antibodies (an autoimmune thing). Mysteries are great—- just not when it’s me or my friends and fellow PALS!

$10 on Raynauds!

Karen, I'm not sure what the blood tests are- she was going to fax something to the lab for me. She's a locum and I was her very first patient in that office. The office admin could not log her on to the system for some reason, so it was a bit of a gong show. Proof that, perhaps, computerizing medical forms, etc, is a double edged sword sometimes. Anyhow, once I get it, I'll have a better idea. It sounded like she was looking for inflammatory markers though. I did the full spectrum during my diagnostic search and nothing turned up. I'd be interested to see if there are any differences now.

Sounds good to me, Mike! Reynauds is the goal. I like the idea of it being a benign inconvenience.

Fiona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back