Old 03-12-2018, 07:14 AM #1 (permalink)

City: Grafton
State: MA
Diagnosed: 03/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Kristina1 has a spectacular aura aboutKristina1 has a spectacular aura aboutKristina1 has a spectacular aura about
Kristina1 has a spectacular aura aboutKristina1 has a spectacular aura aboutKristina1 has a spectacular aura about
Default low CO2

I know normally the concern is about high CO2 in the blood, but does anyone know if low CO2 results are concerning in ALS?

I was at the ER and among their bloodwork showed a flagged CO2 level of 21. Two weeks ago in my regular in-clinic bloodwork my CO2 was 27. The ER docs had nothing to say but they don't really know anything about ALS. I emailed my neuro to make sure she's seen the results and find out if it's anything I should be concerned about.

In the meantime I thought I'd ask here.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:19 AM #2 (permalink)

City: Lancaster
State: PA
Diagnosed: 12/2014
tripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud of
City: Lancaster
State: PA
Diagnosed: 12/2014
tripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud of
Default Re: low CO2

i really dont know except that blood test very so much. i like your unicorn
Old 03-12-2018, 07:28 AM #3 (permalink)

thanks! it makes me happy!
Old 03-12-2018, 07:53 AM #4 (permalink)

City: Stuttgart
State: Germany
Diagnosed: 07/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
wishmobbing is a name known to allwishmobbing is a name known to allwishmobbing is a name known to allwishmobbing is a name known to allwishmobbing is a name known to allwishmobbing is a name known to all
City: Stuttgart
State: Germany
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
wishmobbing is a name known to allwishmobbing is a name known to allwishmobbing is a name known to allwishmobbing is a name known to allwishmobbing is a name known to allwishmobbing is a name known to all

Your unicorn makes me happy, too!
No clue about the CO2, hope your neuro answers quickly.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:21 AM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t think it is concerning re ALS. Depending on the lab that is a point or two out of range Were the other values off too? You didn’t say what took you to the ED ( nor do you need to share) but it might be related to that issue

Always good to check with your neuro though
Old 03-12-2018, 09:55 AM #6 (permalink)

City: Talent
State: Oregon
KarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud of

City: Talent
State: Oregon
KarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud of

Low CO2 usually represents hyperventilation. So probably not from ALS.
I like the unicorn too
Old 03-12-2018, 11:07 AM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute

My CO2 was low and it was because I was hyperventilating. The next test it was normal. The third test it was also normal.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:54 AM #8 (permalink)

Ok thanks, I was certainly anxious due to discomfort in the hospital so hyperventilation makes sense. Neuro emailed me back, was not concerned, seems all is well.
Thanks from
wishmobbing (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 12:12 PM #9 (permalink)

City: Vail
State: Colorado
Diagnosed: 07/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
swalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to behold
City: Vail
State: Colorado
Diagnosed: 07/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
swalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to behold

My last two Arterial Blood Gas (ABG) tests have shown that I have low CO2 (in the same range as yours).

The pulmonologist, neurologist, general practitioner, and respiratory therapist have all said it is because I am consistently hyperventilating.

My breathing is pretty shallow (FVC is around 20%) but I breathe faster than typical with even slight exertion. The effort it takes to get to the lab and get my wrist exposed to do the ABG apparently causes me to hyperventilate.

All the doctors have reassured me that a low CO2 is nothing to worry about. In fact, they tell me it is a great sign that I can clear CO2 as well as I can.

Steve
Thanks from
wishmobbing (03-12-2018)
Closed Thread

Tags
als, clinic