Anyone have a workaround for peel back lids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikki J

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Such as you find on the individual fruit cups you put in lunch boxes?
Also the inner seal for things like peanut butter and nuts?

All of a sudden these are becoming difficult. I am using a knife or scissors at the moment but wondering if there is something better / safer?

Thanks

I use whatever sharp object is on hand- including keys, crochet hooks and the corner of a credit card (I don't recommend), all while bitterly complaining about sealed things. Sorry, Nikki- no solution from me, just sympathy.

I have been saying for a while that it is the manufacturing but it is getting harder to believe. It is unlikely every container is defective

Definitely every container is defective Nikki - it's the only explanation! :roll:

Packaging drove Chris nuts as a cafe owner he never thought about opening all kinds of packaging constantly and these were early issues for him and we never found a solution except to have me open things in advance when he was still cooking.

Once open for the first time, we use "press and seal" and leave a overhang and stick the overhang onto itself to use as a spot to lift for next time. It works well. But no suggestion for first time openings!

If you still have some grip strength, then I suggest a small pair of needle-nosed plyers to grab onto the tab and pull.

Karen and Romeo - SNAP! :lol:

And I just cleaned off a pair of pliers to try next time! Thanks all

I use any sharp object I can find. I bought a special "tool" that was supposed to help open tops and I couldn't open it. It took forever. I have good grip strength but, honestly, I think things are harder to open for everyone. I've had friends in my card group complain.

Don't use your teeth!!! I did that and my jaw went into a spasm:oops::eek::eek:

I hate packaging! so annoying.

Nikki- I agree with the folks above- it IS hard to open these sealed packages even without the issues that come from ALS/MND. While I am sure some of it is due to fine motor/strength issues (and I am very sorry this is something you have to consider), it's a scourge to many people.

My dad seriously carries at least 4 different sized knives to open everything from pill bottles, liquid soap, soya sauce and giant jars of Kraft peanut butter. He also tries to slip extra knives to my sister and I, our husbands and my kid whenever possible. While my husband doubts his sanity sometimes, my dad will always have the right knife for the job. My husband carries a nifty little credit card shaped multi tool for the exact same reason. He thinks it's less sinister looking than carrying straight up knives wherever he goes.

Attachments

• multi.jpg
    multi.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 170
Such as you find on the individual fruit cups you put in lunch boxes?
Also the inner seal for things like peanut butter and nuts?

All of a sudden these are becoming difficult. I am using a knife or scissors at the moment but wondering if there is something better / safer?

Thanks

I had to open two pill bottles today that were sealed inside with a tab-pull covering. There was not enough "tab" to pull of course. Like others, I just use whatever is closest; keys, knives, anything. Funny, I never thought much about any of this before, but the anger at these things is real! :evil:

Thank all.

Fiona, I have 2 close friends with fairly severe RA when we go out I have always opened any little packets or containers for them because they ARE hard. I would like to think that is the issue but I have been opening these things right along until recently. Still could be LOTS worse

I completely understand. I was in no way negating your concerns about the change in ability. It's the little things like this that can kick you in the behind and remind you that something is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back