Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
I am having a lot of my body involuntarily stretching (my legs and trunk mainly) in the middle of the night and early morning. I can't stop it from starting, but I can sometimes force it to end prematurely if that makes sense. The problem is, the stretch causes painful cramping and this thing where my muscle stiffens uncomfortably like a rock but is not actually in a cramp. After it's over my muscles tremble hard for a long time making it difficult to go back to sleep.

Is there any medication or intervention that would reduce these instances of involuntary stretching?

I get that too but it is not so bad that I have pursued it. I thought it was a type of spasticity but I never seem to have anything other than this.
Interested in what others have tried. Thanks for bringing this up

Last edited:
What you are experiencing is probably spasticity. I had the same morning muscle tightening, especially if I awoke suddenly or if my husband touched me before I was fully awake. Weird sensation to suddenly have your body go rigid. The most commonly prescribed medication is Baclofen. It reduces the muscle stiffness but you may find that you have been relying on some of that stiffness to help you walk. The dosage has to be adjusted to find a balance between stiffness and weakness. It can make you feel tired and for the first couple of weeks but if it makes you weaker the dosage needs to be reduced. Some doctors prescribe Baclofen for muscle cramps but it only prevents them by reducing the spasticity that triggers them. Other meds such as quinine sulfate or Mexilitine work for muscle cramps.

Thanks Diane. I am already taking Baclofen for spasticity, however I am on a low dose. I may need to consider increasing the dose.

I experience almost the same symptoms, tho without the trembling sensation. The doctors attributed it to the effects of spasticity. I take baclofen at night on going to bed and again if I wake to use the bathroom (20 mg each time, I rarely use it otherwise). It may forestall the symptoms during the night, but not at the end of my sleep cycle. I only seem to experience the symptoms toward morning so speculate it has something to do with being in the same position for an extended period. I've found that standing or walking a few steps often relieves the symptoms, but I don't really want to get up and take off my Trilogy mask and risk not getting back to sleep.

Ed

Kristina, I have those exact symptoms. My Neurologist advised my to take Baclofen and also magnesium oxide 400 mg at bedtime and Vit B6 50 mg daily. I also use the CBD oil at night and do a lot of calf stretches before bedtime. The doc also told me Mexilitine might help with the cramps. I have a prescription for it but have not filled it yet. I’ve sort of trained myself with the calf cramps to flex my ankles back when I feel the cramp sensation starting, and that at least stops cramps in the calf muscles.

I experience this as well. It's been one of the larger barriers to sleep for me. Particularly the extensor muscles in my legs. Baclofen didn't help me with this (it does for some though!).

I take a whole cocktail of stuff, but Tizanidine, diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and Mg help the most. I've had to add Dantrolene to the mix recently and realized the other day that my twitches and spasms caused by irritated muscles have almost disappeared too.

shiftkicker what is tizanidine prescribed for? ive not heard of that one.

It's another drug that works on spasticity. It's an alternate to baclofen. It's a little harder on the liver though. A few people on this forum use it instead of, or in additon to, Baclofen.

this is how I wake up every single morning. I think the cbd thc oil I take at bedtime gets me through the night with no spasticity, and then a new dose in the morning helps.

The things that helped me with this are Valium and CBD. Baclofen didn't agree with me for more than one reason. I know Valium can affect breathing but it works for me but I can still sleep on my back without the Trilogy. I also take 1,200 Mg. of magnesium throughout the day. Half of it is oxide and the other half taurate. I also get help from massaging my lower legs with coconut oil right before bed.

I have that also. Used Baclofen, but couldn't tolerate it. I've been taking quinine sulfate and this and it helps. It's not sold in the US. So I order it from Canada. My neurologist suggested quinine and wrote the prescription.

Me too. I sleep with my knees up, if i extend my legs, the stretching happens. My toes are happier as well as they arent curling

Looks like a " me too" thread. So me too

All along I been using turmeric, now using curimin which gets into system better. This has helped me all along also weekly massage,acupuncture,Light PT and a good dose of weed oil from friends( thc/ cbd)

thanks for all the replies. sorry so many are dealing with this also :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back