11/2016
Country
US
State
VA
City
Woodbridge
Hello Everybody,

My dad's physical therapist recommended some electrotherapy to him, and they already got a small device. Now, on the device it says it shouldn't be used when someone has hernia, and my dad may have it - but won't see a surgeon for another month I think (a long wait for some doctors in Poland).
The hernia is in the stomach, and he'd be using the device for now mostly with his legs and arms.

Is it all right to use electrotherapy at all? Do you have any experience with it? I'd be grateful for any advice!

Huh????

I'm always cautious when someone mentions physical therapy, because PT's usually focus on making muscle stronger, which is, in ALS, just weird thinking. Also, I don't know what kind of electric device you have, but the ones I have seen are either to overstimulate the nerves and thus reduce pain, or to stimulate the muscles and make them "pop" thus exercising the muscle. Either way, this would indicate a PT who hasn't any idea what ALS is.

Caution. Skepticism. I'm not buying it. Maybe get some more exacting, specific information about the machine and what the PT expects it to do.

Jim's speech pathologist used one on this throat for several visit's. The first time he said a few words later that day , but never again. This was before we had the final DX . Maybe you could ask your Dr. If it helps with limbs? I'm so sorry your father , and you are battling this monster.

i think op is talking about a TENS machine. my understanding (feel free to correct me if im wrong) is that they are very benign and would not be any kind of risk, even to a PALS. my pt, who does have experience with pals, also suggested using one for pain management. i declined only because i don't like the sensation they give.

My husband's occupational therapist tried using a TENS unit on his arms for about 2 months but there didn't seem to be any effect at all.

Sharon

You now have me worried that I may have brought on ALS earlier. Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields: How They Heal | The Dr. Oz Show

I was taking MPF therapy before I was diagnosed with ALS.....Could it have caused more damage, since it made muscles jump! 3 days per week for 9 weeks!

Romeo,

None of us can say for sure, but it seems to me you threw a snowball into an avalanche. Like Mike and others say, until we know specifically what causes the disease, we will not know what makes it worse. Surface stimulation of the muscles most likely is completely harmless.

How we got to here is irrelevant now. Where we go from here is what matters. I have had similar feelings as you, but they are water under the bridge now!

PEMF therapy, which is sometimes used to promote post-op wound healing and has been touted for many indications though lacking evidence of efficacy, is a different machine than TENS, which has been used in mainstream PT for a long time. NMD, I'm not sure which machine your dad's PT is using?

Mod note: If you quote a previous post that contains a link, your post will go into moderation and need to be manually approved by a moderator. This is an automatic feature of the forum- it helps keep spamming and malicious links under control. Two ways around it- remove the link from the quoted post, or resist quoting entire posts (preferable).

Gosh, this is all worrisome.. I am not even sure what kind of a machine this is. It's called "Multi mode electrotherapy unit." - but I don't have any details yet (my father is in Poland, I'm in the US). The guy who recommended it comes to give massages to my dad - I think he has some previous experience with ALS, but my impression is that all health care providers my father see know very, very little... I'll find out the details about the device tomorrow.
Thank you so much for all your input!

My DH (PALS) tried a PEMF machine called a BEMER. Total waste of (a lot) of money.

The device my father got is a TENS machine I think, given its name: "TENScare Flexistim Multi Mode Electrotherapy Unit"
Here is the description of what it does:
A powerful and versatile multitherapy device, combining TENS, EMS, IFT and Microcurrent treatment into one single unit
To reduce inflammation, pain and to accelerate healing, can be used both in a professional environment and at home
10 TENS programmes, 27 EMS programmes, 4 IFT Interferential Programmes, 4 Microcurrent Programmes and 6 user defined programmes

Is it something he could use without hurting himself? I understand it probably won't help. But for some reason that's why thing he wanted to try (and he says no to everything!). So if not necessary, I'd just not say anything to him about it = assuming it won't hurt more, or speed up the disease.

I've never used one, and I'm not a doctor. But from what I think I know, there is this:

The TENS mode, when applied to the legs or arms, should give him a tingling, numbing sensation and possibly warmth. This is to reduce pain.
The EMS function will make a muscle twitch, which is useful to retrain muscles after surgery.
Don't use it around the head, neck or chest.

Important: a real medical doctor, in my opinion, should advise on this. I suggest his neurologist give advice.

In the end, you're right, of course: It's his life and he can do anything he wants. If it makes him happy...

TENS stands for transelectrical nerve stimulation. TENS units are mainly prescribed for people with chronic non-inflammatory pain, eg. chronic mechanical back pain or pain related to injury. They wouldn’t be expected to have any benefit in ALS which results from drop out of motor neurons.

I used TENS with PT years ago after a sports injury on my leg. At a lower power, it tingles. Crank it up and the muscle contracts. Now, I can't imagine wanting to make my muscles cramp or tighten on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back