Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
Has anyone had mood swings caused by baclofen?

I started baclofen a week ago and noticed immidiate benefit in terms of pain reduction and reduced muscle cramping. I was in a great mood and had more energy than I've had in a long time which I attributed to finally sleeping better and having less pain.

Yesterday I increased the dose (per doctor instructions, she's having me gradually increase to find best therapeutic level). Then last night I suddenly felt intense depression. I felt like everyone hates me, which I know logically is ridiculous. I still feel anxious/depressed and on edge this morning.

Could it be the baclofen? I also have my period due in 5 days so I wondered if maybe it's just bad PMS..

thoughts?

I don’t know about Baclofen mood swings. But I would advise going back to the dose you started out on (when you didn’t get the mood swings), and stay on that for another week before trying to increase the dose again. That should help sort out what’s what.

Some of the side effects like fatigue, weakness, and low blood pressure might make you feel depressed.

I hope you get it all worked out because pain and depression are synergistic. It's pure hell to have them both.

Definitely reduce immediately to the previous dose as Karen suggests for a week or so and be sure you are stable and it's working. Then you can measure better any effects from changing the dose.

Kristina- I can tell you I had the exact same response as you did. First few days at the lowest dose and I felt like a million bucks (comparatively speaking). An increase made me feel as though I was at the bottom of a deep deep hole I could not climb out of. The advice others have given you is spot on. It could be you can't tolerate a higher dose at all, or the increase in dose was either too much or too soon. Baclofen can also compromise night time sleep patterns and the mood issues might have some foundation in non-restful or interrupted sleep.

ok thank you all! shiftkicker, im glad im not 'crazy'. it was such a weird turn around

I take 20 MG twice a day and only side effect is drowsiness.

I cut back to 10 MG since weakness started affecting ability to get up and walk!!!!

Some of the side effects like fatigue, weakness, and low blood pressure might make you feel depressed.

I hope you get it all worked out because pain and depression are synergistic. It's pure hell to have them both.

I think you are onto something there Kim. I just mentioned to Mike in a PM that I did my last business trip last week (I volunteered and was not pressured.) And although I got wheeled around in the airports and it was a direct flight to Salt Lake City I was still exhausted. The day after I got home I was very depressed. I did take Baclofen but it normally does not affect me that way.

Ted,

I hope you're feeling better now. I was hypersensitive to Baclofen. 10 mg. made me feel like I couldn't function. Yet I can tolerate 10 mg. of Valium and it makes me feel relaxed and helps the cramps. My blood pressure is already low. This disease presents quite a balancing (pun intended) act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back