Old 02-08-2018, 01:55 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Middle America
State: Kansas
Diagnosed: 01/2016
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
CarolSue is on a very distinguished road
City: Middle America
State: Kansas
Diagnosed: 01/2016
CarolSue is on a very distinguished road
Default Tube feeding side effects? Which Formula?

I have a feeding tube that I currently use for my meds. I see the day approaching where I will need to start using it for nutrition. What are the side effects? Will it be diarrhea after every feed? What formulas are best to reduce diarrhea? Ive heard of gravity feeding and a pump....HELP! looking for advice.

Thank you,
CarolSue
Old 02-08-2018, 02:48 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to behold
City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to beholdazgirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tube feeding side effects? Which Formula?

hi carolsue,
I had a rough start to tube feeding since the jevitiy caused me cramping and bad gas pain. They changed my prescription to osmolite and I've had no problems at all with it.

we put a couple boxes in a drip bag first thing in the morning and let it run a hour or two. Then repeat while napping. The drip feels better to me than dumping whole box at once.

I recommend starting now with one box and working up to see how it agrees with you. There are several options to try, including making your own. I'm glad I experimented before being completely dependent on it.
Thanks from
CarolSue (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 06:21 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute

CarolSue,

It stands to reason the closer you come to real food, the better. My first choice would be to eat what my family is eating, with added calories, blended and thinned in a Vitamix. My next choice would be a formula without corn syrup like Liquid Hope.
Thanks from
CarolSue (02-12-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 02:15 PM #4 (permalink)

City: North Richland Hills
State: Texas
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Livealot is on a distinguished road
City: North Richland Hills
State: Texas
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Livealot is on a distinguished road

Hi Carol Sue , Jim has had no problems with Nutren 1.5 .The dietitian at the VA started with this supplement to try.She used his current weight to decide how many cartons and water he needed daily. She suggested he could eat whatever for pleasure.Some day's he can eat better than other days.One issue is the length of time it takes him to eat anything.I'm so glad he has the peg for back up.Best of luck to you.
Thanks from
CarolSue (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 07:51 AM #5 (permalink)

City: Grafton
State: MA
Diagnosed: 03/2017
Kristina1 is a jewel in the roughKristina1 is a jewel in the roughKristina1 is a jewel in the rough
Kristina1 is a jewel in the roughKristina1 is a jewel in the roughKristina1 is a jewel in the rough

I like Kate Farms formula. I am currently supplementing to keep my weight steady, but I still eat by mouth. I had to get tubing for gravity feeds that allowed me to slow the feed rate. When it's too fast I feel nauseous.
Thanks from
CarolSue (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 09:59 AM #6 (permalink)

City: Hillsboro
State: OR
Diagnosed: 10/2016
KW1234 has a spectacular aura aboutKW1234 has a spectacular aura aboutKW1234 has a spectacular aura about
City: Hillsboro
State: OR
Diagnosed: 10/2016
KW1234 has a spectacular aura aboutKW1234 has a spectacular aura aboutKW1234 has a spectacular aura about

I also use Kate Farms as I am sensitive to dairy and sugar. I use a kangaroo pump.
Thanks from
CarolSue (02-19-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 11:22 AM #7 (permalink)

KW1234, my DME supplier gives me the kangaroo gravity bags, but they have a dial on the tubing to adjust flow rate. Only the dial kind of sucks-- it's like you can get way too fast or way too slow, but hard to get anything in the middle. How did you get a pump? Did you have to ask for it specifically?
Old 02-11-2018, 12:09 PM #8 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute

Your DME can get you one. You need an order but should not be a problem. My sister used one and it worked out well. It is very easy to learn to use
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nikki J For This Useful Post:
CarolSue (02-19-2018), Kristina1 (02-11-2018)
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, feeding, feeding tube, help!, meds, nutrition, tube feeding