03/2017
Country
US
State
CA
City
Glendale
Hi all,

My husband and I are remodeling our home to make it more accessible for him. May I ask what you all have done for your bathrooms to make them accessible for PALS (in terms of bathroom floor plan)? If we are able to post pictures on the forum (I’m not sure if that’s possible), can you post pictures as well?

Thank you!

Hi; We have engaged a contractor to remodel our bathroom. The main goal is to have a roll up shower and to expand the floor space around commode. We will also be installing a Bidet for the commode. We are removing a corner bath tub and putting the roll up shower in its place. Also will be removing existing shower and decreasing the size of my closet. This frees up ample space for wheel chair and Hoyer lift activities. Some issues include tile floors and the number of electrical outlets. The existing walls (sheet rock) are not compatible with tile floors so we will have to have install tile walls to ensure water proofing.

Hope this helps.

We just did a bathroom remodel. Some of the features include:

1. Roll-in shower with lots of grab bars. A hand-held shower head is mounted on a vertical grab bar.
2. Toilet with bidet seat (washlet). Pull-down grab bars on each side of the toilet.
3. Sink with area below into which a chair can be rolled. Distance from bottom of sink to floor = 29”. Distance from top of sink to floor = 34” (sinks have shallow bowl depth).
4. Pfister faucets on sinks can be pulled out to allow for hair washing in sinks.
5. Make sure width of the bathroom is adequate for pwc turnaround.

I’ll try to post photos (I’m technically challenged).

We just did a bathroom remodel. Some of the features include:

1. Roll-in shower with lots of grab bars. A hand-held shower head is mounted on a vertical grab bar.
2. Toilet with bidet seat (washlet). Pull-down grab bars on each side of the toilet.
3. Sink with area below into which a chair can be rolled. Distance from bottom of sink to floor = 29”. Distance from top of sink to floor = 34” (sinks have shallow bowl depth).
4. Pfister faucets on sinks can be pulled out to allow for hair washing in sinks.
5. Make sure width of the bathroom is adequate for pwc turnaround.

I’ll try to post photos (I’m technically challenged).

We are in process now!

I also ordered from Costco https://www.costco.com/Brondell-Swash-CS1000-Bidet-Toilet-Seat.product.11619404.html

Saves on Caregiver's work!

Attachments

• Romeo bath design.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 291
  • Ameriglide pic.jpg
    Ameriglide pic.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Early on I decided on a ceiling track system. I have not yet installed it but everything else has been done. The track will take me from my bed to either the roll in shower or directly to the toilet. I finished the remodel of everything else. I widened doors, took off my walk in closet door and gutted the master bath. I have an accessible roll in shower with a pull down seat. It's 6 feet long by 4.5 feet wide and has grab bars everywhere. I did the bidet seat with a grab bar for the toilet. I put plenty of outlets in accessible drawers and in the master closet. The shower is larger than the pictures look and the closet is large enough to park and charge a wheelchair.

Here are some pictures of the bathroom. They were taken when it was about 90% finished.

Attachments

• Bathroom1.jpg
    Bathroom1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 365
  • Bathroom2.jpg
    Bathroom2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 333
  • Bathroom3.jpg
    Bathroom3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 341
  • Bathroom6.jpg
    Bathroom6.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 371
I am also having a incline wheelchair lift installed

Early on I decided on a ceiling track system. I have not yet installed it but everything else has been done. The track will take me from my bed to either the roll in shower or directly to the toilet. I finished the remodel of everything else. I widened doors, took off my walk in closet door and gutted the master bath. I have an accessible roll in shower with a pull down seat. It's 6 feet long by 4.5 feet wide and has grab bars everywhere. I did the bidet seat with a grab bar for the toilet. I put plenty of outlets in accessible drawers and in the master closet. The shower is larger than the pictures look and the closet is large enough to park and charge a wheelchair.

Here are some pictures of the bathroom. They were taken when it was about 90% finished.

Hi Kim!

Thank you for the pictures! Do you have any issues making the left turn with your PALS to get to the toilet? Someone mentioned that’s it’s easier to operate a Hoyle lift to get to the toilet when you have no turns and just a straight shot to the bathroom.

Things we did....

1 roll in shower with lateral floor drain
2 super lightweight handheld shower wand
3. Tornado body dryer
4 microfleece towels
5. Toto bidet
6 sinks i can roll my wheelchair under
7. Ceiling track
8.grab bars everywhere

Will post pics later

We turned our Living Room/Dining room into an accessible Bedroom/Bathroom. Installed double doors between the two rooms.

The DR was approximately 13x17, so we had some room to work with.

We did:
- Large format tile in BR and BA. No threshold between.
- Walk in closet with a pocket door.
- 5'x6' Roll in, zero entry shower. Grab bars all around. Handheld shower mounted on a rail. I appreciciate the size now that DH cannot stand and we use a rolling shower/commode chair.
- Roll under wall mounted sink with "counter space" on both sides.
- Comfort height toilet with toilevator underneath and bidet seat. Toilet paper grab bar combo on one side, fold down grab bar on the other side. Remember to get an outlet installed behind the toilet for the bidet seat. Also, leave space next to the toilet ( in our case between toilet and sink) to get the wheelchair in if your PALS can still transfer w/o Hoyer.

I have attached pictures. (Sorry that 2 are sideways. I don't know how to rotate them.) It was a mess for a while, but well worth the effort for us.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 20170423_113417.jpg
    20170423_113417.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 289
  • 20170423_112347.jpg
    20170423_112347.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 301
  • 20170423_112305.jpg
    20170423_112305.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 284
We turned our Living Room/Dining room into an accessible Bedroom/Bathroom. Installed double doors between the two rooms.

The DR was approximately 13x17, so we had some room to work with.

We did:
- Large format tile in BR and BA. No threshold between.
- Walk in closet with a pocket door.
- 5'x6' Roll in, zero entry shower. Grab bars all around. Handheld shower mounted on a rail. I appreciciate the size now that DH cannot stand and we use a rolling shower/commode chair.
- Roll under wall mounted sink with "counter space" on both sides.
- Comfort height toilet with toilevator underneath and bidet seat. Toilet paper grab bar combo on one side, fold down grab bar on the other side. Remember to get an outlet installed behind the toilet for the bidet seat. Also, leave space next to the toilet ( in our case between toilet and sink) to get the wheelchair in if your PALS can still transfer w/o Hoyer.

I have attached pictures. (Sorry that 2 are sideways. I don't know how to rotate them.) It was a mess for a while, but well worth the effort for us.

Good luck!

That was very helpful, Jrzygrl!

Thank you for the pictures. I have the same question for you that I had for Kim- Is it hard to make the turn to get your PALS onto the toilet (for example, if you are using a hoyer lift)? We are trying to figure out whether we should position our toilet in a different spot if we don’t need a straight shot from the door to the toilet. Also, do you recommend having room on either side of the toilet to help left your PALS?

I do not find it difficult to turn the Hoyer to position DH. He is 6'2" and 225lbs if that helps. Our roll-in shower is also directly opposite the toilet, so I do have plenty of room. We positioned the toilet near the one wall in order to have a grab bar ( in our case, the combo toilet paper /grab bar) within reach on that sids. My husband was still able to transfer when we originally had the remodel done - about a year ago. I still have enough room to help him. I guess if you wanted room on both sides, you could also install another of the fold down grab bars.

Pictures of bathroom

Attachments

• 20180131_075056.jpg
    20180131_075056.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 282
  • 20180131_075119.jpg
    20180131_075119.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 263
  • 20180131_075218.jpg
    20180131_075218.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 275
  • 20180131_075316.jpg
    20180131_075316.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 20180131_075401.jpg
    20180131_075401.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 265
  • 20170428_115339.jpg
    20170428_115339.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 257
My BJ was already in his wheelchair when we redesigned our bathroom, we don't have grab bars, we use the hoist to put him on commode and wheel him around on that, so much easier to manoeuvre and he isn't swinging in the air as I move him about.

I haven't had the ceiling track installed yet but Sure Hands (company) looked at the bathroom before and after the remodel and said the track would work nicely and no problem making the turn to the toilet. I'm still walking but I'm enjoying the huge shower with a bench and the bidet. The counter top is kitchen counter height. I tested my PWC in the bathroom and I can drive right up to the sink with no problem. I'm really not sure how my progression will go but the Sure Hands said they can guarantee the job will be done (everything is prepped and ready) in two days with a week lead time. It's not cheap but it's the way I decided to go, when the time comes.

Don't underestimate the value of grab bars. I have four of them in the shower and another by the toilet. Also, you can make your towel holders and toilet paper holder into grab bars.

Contractor will be here today to finalize design of remodeled bathroom. Thank each of you for sharing your experience doing same. I have a host of notes as a result of this forum that we will be discussing for inclusion in the design. I am very greatful for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back