Old 01-29-2018, 07:11 AM #1 (permalink)

City: Detroit Lakes
State: MN
Diagnosed: 11/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
DetroitLakesMN is on a distinguished road
Default Chronic Wasting Disease and Mad Cow Disease

Chronic Wasting Disease and Mad Cow Disease in Cattle and Deer and Elk and ALS Lou Gehrig Disease in Humans have lots in common it appears to me.

I'm going to look into this more.

I'm sure science is looking at this.

Am I ringing any bells.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:37 AM #2 (permalink)

City: Talent
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud of

KarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Chronic Wasting Disease and Mad Cow Disease

No bells. Mad Cow is a prion disease, caused by small infectious particles. ALS does not appear to be related to prions. ALS probably has more to do with gene mutations, though itís possible that infections, trauma, or chemical exposures may trigger it, particularly in people with genetic susceptibility.

An example of a prion disease in humans is Creutzfeldt Jacob Disease, which causes rapid onset of dementia and myoclonus (large muscle jerking movements, like seizures). Brain specimens on autopsy have the appearance of holes punched out in the brain (like Swiss cheese). EEG tests of the brain shows distinctive abnormalities.
Thanks from
patoyeah (02-22-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 02:55 PM #3 (permalink)

How about Polio Shots..
Old 01-29-2018, 03:22 PM #4 (permalink)

Iím unaware of any connection between polio vaccine and ALS, if thatís what youíre asking.

There are rare reports of people getting a flaccid (low muscle tone) paralysis following polio vaccine. For oral polio vaccine, that amounts to one case in 2.5 million vaccine recipients (I looked it up), and mostly in people who have a specific type of immunodeficiency related to B cells. Again, this has nothing to do with ALS.

Where are you going with this inquiry?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KarenNWendyn For This Useful Post:
KimT (02-23-2018), patoyeah (02-22-2018), wishmobbing (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 04:20 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant future
Extremely Helpful Member

KimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant future

Hey Karen,

Didn't you know? It's a new thread called "Ask the Doctor."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KimT For This Useful Post:
Angiegal (02-25-2018), KarenNWendyn (02-24-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:30 AM #6 (permalink)

City: Carrollton
State: Virginia
Diagnosed: 12/2017
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Chincoteaguer is on a very distinguished roadChincoteaguer is on a very distinguished road

City: Carrollton
State: Virginia
Diagnosed: 12/2017
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Chincoteaguer is on a very distinguished roadChincoteaguer is on a very distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenNWendyn View Post
No bells. Mad Cow is a prion disease, caused by small infectious particles. ALS does not appear to be related to prions. ALS probably has more to do with gene mutations, though itís possible that infections, trauma, or chemical exposures may trigger it, particularly in people with genetic susceptibility.

An example of a prion disease in humans is Creutzfeldt Jacob Disease, which causes rapid onset of dementia and myoclonus (large muscle jerking movements, like seizures). Brain specimens on autopsy have the appearance of holes punched out in the brain (like Swiss cheese). EEG tests of the brain shows distinctive abnormalities.
have thought that my wife's heavy doses of chemo for breast cancer may have played a roll in her ALS onset. Haven't registered her on the ALS registry bur am interested if there are others who suspect chemo as a trigger.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:38 AM #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chincoteaguer View Post
have thought that my wife's heavy doses of chemo for breast cancer may have played a roll in her ALS onset. Haven't registered her on the ALS registry bur am interested if there are others who suspect chemo as a trigger.
Radiation for sure I'm looking at.

TV and Microwaves and Dental and Cellphones and computers and Electronic devices in general..

Our military uses tons of this stuff..

Nuclear Reactors..
Old 02-25-2018, 06:19 PM #8 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

My only theory is that ALS onset is a cumulative effect of head injuries, toxins in the environment, ingested and injected toxins, and probably other things. I think it takes some kind of trigger to push the neurons over the edge. I think, for me, it was a head injury. I come from a cluster area and lived with smokers from birth until age 22. After that I bought a house on a heavily pesticided golf course and lived there for 25 years. I also worked in a moldy building where another friend and faculty member died of ALS. We worked together for about 15 years. There was also a lot of cancer in that building and still is even after remediation.
Closed Thread

Tags
als, mad