Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
Coarsegold
My family is struggling to transfer me on and off the toilet. It was not as bad until recently I have little strength in my legs. My wife tries to get me up from under the arms and tries then to hold me up as she pants me. Then down on the toilet.

Then she goes under the arms again and tries to old me and pull up the pants and that's when it becomes a little sketchy. My dad also struggles, I'm pretty big I guess.

The hoyer lift really is just too bulky. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks, David

Can you use a portable potty? It could be rolled up to your bed or wherever it's easier. They have combo toilets and shower chairs that are light weight and can be rolled.

Your wife's back will suffer from doing this so please find an alternative.

I don't know the layout of your bathroom but is it possible to put in a ceiling track?

In what way is the Hoyer too bulky? Remember, you can transfer to a commode chair in another room if your bathroom is small, then roll it into the bathroom and then over the toilet. You are going to need a shower/commode chair eventually, so maybe this is the time?

Begin by getting open back/bottom slacks online from Silverts or Buck and Buck. When you are sitting down no one can tell they aren't regular pants. With them and without underwear you can be transferred onto the toilet without needing your pants and underwear needing to be pulled down and back up again. That is far safer than being held up to get the pants down and up.

Don't delay in getting a mechanical lift. There are compact lifts that attach to the wall next to the toilet. A ceiling mount or free standing overhead lift over your bed is a better option financially. It is more expensive but will lift you out of bed and onto a shower/commode chair. You can be rolled into the bathroom and over the toilet. The overhead lift with a split leg sling (U sling) is ideal because it can be put on/taken off while you are in bed or in your wheelchair with no heavy lifting. Get one with a headrest so you don't have to replace it later.

I just got a nice shower chair that goes over the toilet but it doesn't work in the one bathroom available. The other bathroom is in remodel process. I'm just trying to think of a new technique in the meantime.

Thanks

I use a ceiling track from surehands. It is the best investment i have made to deal with this disease.

A shower chair next to my bed helped for about a year until it began to take two persons to lift me. For the last two years I have simply pooped in my pants. Why make it any harder than necessary? Changing pants is a minor task compared to the shower chair exercise.

We had a similar issue for my husband for the ‘in between ‘ time period before we got the necessary remodels. The key was the underwear. We used the open back pants so we could just transfer him without having to try to hold him up and pull the underwear down. Also, for a while he was able to shift his weight enough in the chair so I could pull his pants off before transferring him and then put them back on after we got him back in the chair. Takes some maneuvering but we did it. Let me emphasize bough that this was a stop gap measure only.
Tracy

We were not able to fit a hoyer lift in our bathroom.

When I was no longer able to get up (with assistance) and shuffle down the hall, we used a sit to stand machine to get off the toilet and transfer to where I needed to go.

I eventually needed to get a ceiling lift when my legs and back got weaker.

A sit to stand might be a good option until you get your remodel done. Could you rent one or get a loaner from somewhere?

Matt

Lot's of good suggestions, here.

I'll emphasize--At this stage, you're courting disaster. If you fall, she can't get you up, nor reach the phone and support your body / head/ breathing at the same time. In my house, I whacked out a wall so our equipment could fit through. Looked ugly, but worked.

Under no circumstances should these transfers be done this way - far too dangerous, I think you have had some great tips on alternatives - you have a shower chair - you can either slip a pan under it or a bucket until renovations are complete or you have another way.

Please do not put your CALS at this risk.

Agreed, David, use the bucket it came with, for now. Don't risk your wife's/dad's health, not to mention your own!

When the bathroom renovation is complete, you can transfer to the shower chair outside the bathroom using a lift.

thanks all. I think those last ideas would be best because I don't want to injure anyone.

Ceiling lift works the best for me .
Remember this only gits worse as you go along. All things you git now will be of great help down the road so go big while your remod is happening .
Good luck

Great suggestions for me and other newly diagnosed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back