Old 12-31-2017, 08:54 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Lancaster
State: PA
Diagnosed: 12/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
tripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to behold
tripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to beholdtripete is a splendid one to behold
Default Another Mistake...

Friday I took an hour drive (each way) to Ikea with my family. We were out the whole day. I got home and went right to bed everything hurt and I was exhausted. Since then I have very little strength and I can't get enough air to talk hardly at all. What I can say is weak and with a lot of pauses.

I am hoping that with more rest I will recover but am concerned that I WAY over did it and caused a big decline in my breathing. It has always been tough for me to know/see my limitations it is even more difficult now as my mind thinks I can, but my body, well you know...
Old 12-31-2017, 09:16 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Mistake...

Oh Pete, so sorry this disease just never stops taking does it!

Make sure you do rest up now and give yourself the best chance at recovering as best you can.

The problem is we just never know where that limit line is drawn until we step over it when things are constantly changing.

Many hugs my friend
Old 12-31-2017, 10:06 PM #3 (permalink)

City: Vail
State: Colorado
Diagnosed: 07/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
swalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to behold
swalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to behold

Pete, I so very much understand.

I have great difficulty gauging how much I do and knowing where my limit should be.

I just push and push to achieve whatever goal I have in mind. And, like you, I pay the price. Sometimes for days and sometimes longer.

I have found that when I do too much, I do recover. I think that is because I do it in a wheelchair, so am not really taxing my muscles.

Wishing you the best New Year possible.

Steve
Old 12-31-2017, 10:31 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud of

I'm so sorry, Pete. I know how much family time means to you. I push myself to the max, too. I'm one of the ones who has a lot of pain with this disease. Probably most of it came from falls, car accidents (prior to ALS) and sports. Today I decided to clean all three bathrooms on my hands and knees. I had a hard time getting back up and now my lower back and right knee are throbbing.

Every time I overdo it I pay for days.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:39 PM #5 (permalink)

City: Fort Worth
State: Texas
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Lscott71 is on a distinguished road
City: Fort Worth
State: Texas
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Lscott71 is on a distinguished road

My husband has bulbar onset and still walks, but recently he went to a church event with family about an hour away from our house. He was gone for about 5 hours. By the time he got home he was so exhausted that he couldn’t talk at all. Didn’t even try. He slept off and on for a couple of days and then seemed to get his energy back.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:02 AM #6 (permalink)

Thank all of you for your support. Steve I am also in my power chair all the time except for transfers. Part of the issue is that my trunk/core is so weak that every bump, turn, or any slightest change jostles me like I have been in a car wreck. It is just part of my regression (progression implies moving forward).
Old 01-01-2018, 08:46 AM #7 (permalink)

City: renick
State: wv.
Diagnosed: 02/2015
chally is a splendid one to beholdchally is a splendid one to beholdchally is a splendid one to beholdchally is a splendid one to beholdchally is a splendid one to beholdchally is a splendid one to beholdchally is a splendid one to behold
City: renick
State: wv.
Diagnosed: 02/2015
chally is a splendid one to beholdchally is a splendid one to beholdchally is a splendid one to beholdchally is a splendid one to beholdchally is a splendid one to beholdchally is a splendid one to beholdchally is a splendid one to behold

I feel ya brother I do this often!
We don’t want to just lay down and stop nor should we!

Rest up friend you’ll bounce back and go at it again, it’s what we do till the finish line draws us in.

Happy new year to ya Pete and everyone on the forum.

Love ya
Chally
Old 01-01-2018, 12:49 PM #8 (permalink)

City: Hillsboro
State: OR
Diagnosed: 10/2016
KW1234 is on a very distinguished roadKW1234 is on a very distinguished road
City: Hillsboro
State: OR
Diagnosed: 10/2016
KW1234 is on a very distinguished roadKW1234 is on a very distinguished road

I am with you on every bump taking a pounding. They really should engineer shock absorbers in the chairs.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:49 PM #9 (permalink)

Pete, I can only imagine what it is like to have the jostling of the wheelchair cause pain.

For me, it causes fatigue, but not pain. I have found that using lateral thoracic supports dramatically reduces the fatigue.

I like the Permobil lateral thoracic supports for the VS seat in my Permobil C500s VS wheelchair the best.

I find the Stealth lateral thoracic supports for the Corpus 3G seat in my Permobil C500 Corpus 3g are adequate, but not as good as the ones in my VS seat.

The standard thoracic supports in my Permobil C350 Corpus 3G wheelchair are close to useless for me.

If you don't have add-on thoracic supports (not the tear-drop shaped ones that come standard with Permobil wheelchairs), I highly encourage you to investigate them. They have made a great, positive difference in my life.

All my Permobil wheelchairs have shock absorbers. From the factory, they seem to come adjusted for very heavy folks. Adjusting them properly for my weight (covered in the appropriate Permobil base service manual) has really made a difference in comfort for me.

Steve
Thanks from
KateEmerson (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 09:43 PM #10 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Anywhere
State: Western Canada
Interest: Other
laurel is on a very distinguished roadlaurel is on a very distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: Anywhere
State: Western Canada
Interest: Other
laurel is on a very distinguished roadlaurel is on a very distinguished road

Pete I am so sorry to read that you are really exhausted after your outing. Slow it down lad, keep doing what you enjoy, but knock it back by half is my two cents. Hubby has CIDP and couldn't have coped with that marathon day that you had. Keep enjoying activities but really think about how long you can participate without exhausting yourself. I hope you get your mojo back soon Pete.

Laurel
Old 01-02-2018, 12:53 PM #11 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Pittsburgh
Diagnosed: 07/2007
Narrowminded is a splendid one to beholdNarrowminded is a splendid one to beholdNarrowminded is a splendid one to beholdNarrowminded is a splendid one to beholdNarrowminded is a splendid one to beholdNarrowminded is a splendid one to beholdNarrowminded is a splendid one to behold
Very Helpful Member
City: Pittsburgh
Diagnosed: 07/2007
Narrowminded is a splendid one to beholdNarrowminded is a splendid one to beholdNarrowminded is a splendid one to beholdNarrowminded is a splendid one to beholdNarrowminded is a splendid one to beholdNarrowminded is a splendid one to beholdNarrowminded is a splendid one to behold

Hi Pete. I hope today finds you feeling a bit better. DH, when he could go out, always took several days to recover. Happy New Year!

Hugs,

Sue
Old 01-02-2018, 04:43 PM #12 (permalink)

I am the same or worse today Hospice is concerned. No noise in lungs just in their words "extremely shallow" breathing.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:02 PM #13 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud of
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud of

Pete, I'm sorry to hear that.

With regards to your lungs, my mother had such congested lungs from pneumonia that there were none of the usual crackly sounds- which confounded her doctor till she got a chest x-ray and he saw why. I am hoping this is your case too and you will improve once treated.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:52 PM #14 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Dang it Pete - I have been thinking of you and of course was hoping you would report you are just a tiny bit better. Hugs my friend, resting is all you can do now, maybe watch some favourite movies with your family, ones you know well enough that if you nap at times it won't matter xxx
Old 01-02-2018, 09:29 PM #15 (permalink)

Pete, I am very sorry to hear this. I continue praying for you and hope that you will be feeling better soon.

Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
bed, breathing, decline, family, mistake