Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
TX
City
Austin
We don't make a big deal about the new year. But 2017 has certainly been terrible for us, lost all three pets, my broken foot in March and then Eileen's diagnosis in May. Life since then has been both hectic and restrictive. I know that we are not alone with the difficulties of this disease. Glad to say goodbye to 2017.

But also with this disease, 2018 is nothing to look forward to, somewhere ahead the worst is yet to come. And I question my strength. About the best we can hope for is a year with little change and time to enjoy what we can.

Larry, I'm so very sorry that your 2017 was not a peaceful one and that your 2018 will be challenging to say the least. You may question your strength along the journey but I think that you will dig deep and get through it. Come here for encouragement and ideas to make your lives a bit easier along the way. It really does help. Vent here to if you like. We all have. You'll have good and bad days. Make the very best of the good. Hang in there!

Unfortunately for those of us living with a progressive and terminal disease, looking to the future is not always a pleasant experience. We will all experience loss. What I’m hoping for in 2018 and the years ahead is that the transitions be gentle, and that we all get to enjoy humor, kindness, and love.

Larry,

I, too, question my strength and fortitude for what the future will bring. Everyday I'm scared. Knowing, however, that there are supportive folks here on the forum eases my worries somewhat. Please know that you can come here and vent, rage or weep and you'll have many people that are here to listen and support in whatever way they can.

Thinking of you and Eileen.

Joanna

I was a workaholic and Type A. My mind was always racing into the future. I'm slowly learning how to live in the present and appreciate every day as a gift. Sometimes it's very hard but I keep trying.

I hope 2018 will give you some peace, some joy, and some good experiences and memories. Love doesn't die.

I try to remember the old saying that the one thing bad times and good times have in common is that neither lasts forever

Larry,

To you and all the other PALS and CALS here, I wish the happiest New Years possible.

We don't know what 2018 will bring. We can expect that it will bring difficulties and challenges. But there will also be moments of joy and happiness. Seek out those moments and treasure them.

Steve

Thanks for your post, Steve.

Y'all have a really good year now, hear?

Although New Year's partly is about summarizing the old year and facing the new one, for me it's about living NOW. In the old year I cried more than I have ever done and the new year will probably be a valley of tears, but tonight we had friends, food, fireworks and festivities. No regrets, no resolutions!
Cheers to all of you!

2018 is the best year yet to get an ALS diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back