Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lancaster
I have been getting extremely hot, sweating hot, after I eat anything. Not after drinking only after eating. Swallowing is more and more difficult (Mark I know there is a joke there, I will leave that to you) but I am fortunate that I still can. It also make breathing very hard no matter how much I eat.

I know a lot of us have what my wife calls "broken thermostates" but do any of you experience this?

I'm cold most of the time but that hasn't changed. The only time I sweat is when I put both heating pads on my back and legs and go to bed. It seem like night is the time my body has most of its trouble, including being too cold.

I've heard many other PALS, at group support, complaining about being too hot or hot one minute and cold the next. When we would go out to lunch, one would sweat profusely when he ate. His breathing was pretty good because he went all day without BiPap and only used it at night so that led me to believe it had more to do with the effort it took him to eat rather than his breathing.

Who knows? Does anyone know why any of this crap happens to us?

Pete the sweating is related to how much energy it is taking for you to eat - particularly what I mean is how hard it is to breathe to expel that CO2 when you are eating. This is different from the temperature regulation issues PALS very often have I do believe.

So basically eating has become like running a marathon. You are probably now using more calories to consume a meal than the calories in the meal. Are you losing any weight?

Tillie, Yes I am loosing weight. I thought that it might be the case that it takes more energy to eat and digest than my body can take. We are trying some higher calories drinks but I am not hungry, so it makes it difficult.

Many hugs - you can also add coconut oil or dairy/non dairy cream - make power smoothies as maybe drinking your meals may work better?

Pete, I know you would prefer not, but have you tried eating using the BiPAP with a nasal mask, just to see if breathing is the issue?

Laurie, I have tried talking and drinking with the bipap nose mask and I cannot do that. When I try and drink with it I choke so I did not try eating. I use the mask all most all night and all day except when eating or drinking, 20-22 hrs a day.

I get the sweats with eating as well. Any thought to getting a peg. I got mine a year ago. If you can put up with a crappy day at the dentist. Fifteen minutes in and out of the radiology suite, a week or two of pain, and you'll forget you have it. If nothing else it makes pills much easier. And a peg is not an all or nothing deal, you can still eat by mouth to get the taste of food or BEER! Save your energy for the fun stuff.
Vincent

Like Vincent said: time for the tube.

Actually, past time.

Here's my opinion on getting a G-tube:

"Note that a G Tube does not prevent you from eating or drinking for pleasure. In fact, obtaining the bulk of your nutrition and hydration via the tube preserves your energy for pleasurable eating!

Also be aware that you have the right to refuse food at any time if you so choose. However, the G Tube is still invaluable for hydration and medicine.
IN MY OPINION getting a G Tube is a no-brainier, and forcing your caregiver (cALS) to watch you choke on water and medicine, and possibly die from pneumonia is terribly selfish. But, again, it is your choice.

Vince and Greg, thanks for the advice. My wife (CALS) and I decided against the tube a while ago - so as it is a joint decision I don't feel like I am being selfish. I don't think with being on Hospice that insurance would allow it any way (I may be way wrong here). I do not take any pills so that part is not an issue.

I was more asking about the sweating because I like to know what is happening, more than for any other reason, I find comfort in knowing. When I ask about something and then wont take meds or surgery it probably sounds like I am a whiner. But again it is more about knowing than anything else for me. I hide most of what is happening from my wife the best I can so as not to distress her, and I come here for understanding.

I have a tube and agree with the boys one hundred percent
Al

Pete,
It's your journey. Just know you are in my prayers.

As Kim says this is your choice and what you decided is right for you and yours. Wishing you peace and comfort.

Ditto Kim and Nikki’s comments.

Definitely no one here should be made to feel guilty in any way for making their own choices.

Pete I've known several PALS quite well that did not do a feeding tube and their CALS looked after them just fine and were not traumatised any more than I was looking after Chris with a feeding tube.

I totally agree that it's easier to cope if we know what is happening and why.

Hospice know how to help your wife care for you - there are lots of ways to give meds besides orally so you don't have to be choking on any palliative meds when they are needed - morphine can be given as patches or IV.

No way are you a whiner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back