Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
Will insurance cover a lift chair or is it usually out of pocket expense?

How comfortable are they really-- for example, comparing to a la-z-boy type commercial recliner?

I dont get enough support on our sofa, I am always tensing my body to keep from sliding into an uncomfortable human puddle. So I spend a lot of time semi-reclined in bed instead, supported with multiple pillows, when I want to read/watch tv etc. I'd like some type of supportive recliner to use in the living room and I'm trying to decide what to get.

I practically live in mine. It can recline and also has a "lift" function that brings you to almost standing and provides really good support when sitting. Your local ALS Assoc lending closet may have one available for you.

I managed to get mine covered (eventually) because both my neuro and an occupational therapist prescribed one. There are some excellent chair brands that are considered "medical" equipment (Golden Technologies and Pride are ones I looked at). I was successful in making a claim based on the doctor's prescription and the explanation that it would enable me to remain mobile for a little bit longer as it helps me stand up and provides proper support. I thought that was a frivolous thing when I first got it, but I have since discovered the lift is the only thing keeping me from being trapped in it.

I just got a chair. My insurance did not cover. Try them out in the store ( or come and try mine- email me). I have the same one Kim has.

We had lift lazy boys for both my parents I think there is more support in what I have and the head and feet can be adjusted independently. I got heat and massage. Massage is useless but the heat is awesome.

I got one about a year ago and it has spoiled me. I couldn't be without one now. My grand daughters like going for rides on it, and Harlee is right next to me most of the time.

My Ins would not pay a dime on it even tho my doctors prescribed it.

Typically, insurance in the States will not cover it. But it is worth it. If cash flow is a problem, you can pay monthly at some of the etailers like Spin Life. My husband, Kim and Nikki all had/have the Golden (ours is the PR505, still use it as a regular chair as well as guest bed) and I think you will find it supportive against the "puddle." Definitely get one labeled "zero gravity."

The caveat is, if you want to try to keep using it as your ability to transfer declines, identify a place where there is room to use the Hoyer-style lift with it.

Thank you all for the input! I will try to figure out what local store would have them to try some out. I'm extremely petite- 4 foot 11 inches and 105 lbs. My one concern is it may be hard to find one that is appropriate for my small size. I will have to try them out and see.

As I have stated before, the ALS society gave me mine for free. And I had the choice of different models
Al

The ALS Society where we live in Ontario, gave my dad one for free on loan. He tried one and it wasn't very comfortable, so they switched it out for a more padded one.

Kristina- they come in different sizes for just such a reason! At least the Golden Tech ones do. Like a few other folks here, I have a Golden Technologies one. I have the smaller model, which also serves the purpose of making it uncomfortable for my 6'+ spouse and child and discourages territorial war- bonus!

From the manufacturer's site (Maxicomfort model):

Available in 6 sizes: Junior Petite (4'8" smallest), Small, Medium, Large, Tall, and 500 lbs.

With regards to getting it covered by insurance- I have Great West extended medical coverage. I carefully combed through my policy and noted they did not define what "medically necessary equipment" was. My claim was rejected twice, but I continued to hammer at it till they relented. It took a fair amount of time and energy and I don't think I'd have the "oomph" now to do it.

I understand American insurance companies are different, so likely your policy has more clearly defined categories and wouldn't be as dumb about leaving something like "medically necessary" equipment undefined.

Last edited:
I bought mine from a local medical supply company. I was right on the "in between" for sizes but I got the large. I'm 5'6" and love it. Mine is the Golden Cloud. It cost $500 less locally than the best price I could find online. I actually had it serviced once because, during my move, something happened to one of the motors.

I give it credit for healing my back muscle pain. I will sit in nothing else. It is way more comfortable than my adjustable bed. As Nikki says, the massage is pretty worthless. I use a heating pad AND the heat...even in the Florida summer. I have no idea what I would have done if I didn't have it when I sprained my ankle last September.

I deducted a portion of it on my taxes. I probably could have fought for a partial reimbursement from Blue Cross but I had too many other things going on at the time and I needed it when I needed it. It took about 3 weeks to arrive.

I have to fight off my toy fox terrier for it, especially when I leave the heat on.

Thank you all for the input! I will try to figure out what local store would have them to try some out. I'm extremely petite- 4 foot 11 inches and 105 lbs. My one concern is it may be hard to find one that is appropriate for my small size. I will have to try them out and see.

If you also want a wall hugger model for your size look at the Golden PR931S or the Med Lift 5500P. My wife is also petite and I'm leaning towards the 5500P. Non wall hugger models need a lot of space to recline. Just FYI.

My wife's primary insurance is Medicare. My Medigap coverage position is - if Medicare covers the claim then they will pay any remaining costs. So, my question is - has anyone out there had experience with Medicare coverage for these kind of chairs?

We were told that insurance would only cover the lift mechanism part of the chair. I’m assuming that’s the only part they consider “medical.”
We purchased the Golden cloud and my husband was rarely out of it.
Joan

I've said this before but wanted to say it again. I think anyone disabled or over 60 should have a Golden Cloud. I wish my brother had one. Before I got my cloud, I had some very nice Stressless recliners and I gave him one. He lives in it. When he sat in my cloud, he said it felt like heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back