Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
wv.
City
renick
well apperantly 6 mons of alka seltzer torn my stomach up was bleeding pretty good out thebutt and I landed in ICU @ VA. Hosp.
It worked for me on nasal drip but I never saw it coming t hat it was doing damage .
So I guess all meds have side effects traditional or non.
So if your using alka seltzer keep your I out for other side effects.
Going home!

Take care Studmuffin!

Chally, I’m glad you’re safe now and have hopefully seen the last of this ordeal.

Yes, Alka Selzer contains aspirin 325 mg, which is a risk factor for stomach lining erosions, ulcers, and bleeding. I know people are using it to thin out their mucus. Just be aware of the potential side effects, take with food, and proceed with caution. Not everyone who gets these side effects may notice stomach pain or bleeding. It can be sneaky.

sorry Chally!
I also worry about that side effect., but I hate to give it up because it really seems to help with mucous. Now what to do?

I feel like sh1t now. Never thought this could happen. Very sorry my friend.

As Karen says, not everyone will have a problem, but taking with food is only prudent and experimenting with a lower dose (not using a full tab) is another option, esp. if you have risk factors for bleeds/GI issues, or are taking other drugs that can interact.

Hope you are feeling much better, Chally!

I think the non-extra strength might not contain aspirin but even the citric acid can cause issues. I wonder if plain baking soda, which is also an ingredient, would help?

Sorry, Chally. I have a very sensitive stomach and cannot tolerate aspirin or NSAIs. I don't think I've ever tried alka seltzer.

I feel like sh1t now. Never thought this could happen. Very sorry my friend.

No reason to feel like that. We all have different responses to medication. I take some pretty hefty doses of buffered aspirin for arthritis and yet my husband bleeds rectally very easily from taking small doses. What works for most can cause grief to another person. Don't be hard on yourself Pete. :)

Thinking of you Chally! That must have been scary for you i.e. the bleeding and being in ICU. Take care.

Laurel

ouch Chally!

I hope they have you patched up proper-like now!

Pete it's not your fault in any way - everything can have side effects mate xxx

Chally, I am so sorry!

Glad to hear you are heading home. Hope you feel much better soon.

Steve

Hang in there Chally. Quick healing to you.

Alka Seltzer never worked for Brian for mucous Everyone is different.

Hugs,

sue

My best to you, Chally!

Jim

Thanks my Friends!
I never thought this could happen, I never had problem with any ibpro,aspirin,etc just time for things to change.
Please understand this on no one. There’s no blame anywhere here folks .
I am fine . Blood work good, BP good, fit as a fiddle,except you the nightmare haha!
On ward, up ward!
This will not geit us down

Love ya all
Chally

Chally,
Love your outlook! Thank you!
Angie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back