Old 12-05-2017, 02:46 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Coarsegold
State: CA
Diagnosed: 09/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Now stay at home dad is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Internal stabbing pain

This may be a long shot but has any with ALS ever experienced a sharp stabbing pain to the rib cage area when taking a deep breath or coughing, laughing, etc. I have felt this pain in my shoulder, my lower back and on both sides of my body. This has been going on for months. It used to only be painful for a few hours and then go away for a few weeks. It progressively got worse and I have had this pain for a week straight. I went to the ER last week and after all the testing, they could not pin point a problem and sent me home. I don't have a clinic appointment until the end of the month so I was just curious if this could possibly just be ALS symptoms. I'm going on three years diagnosed and am nearly completely paralyzed.

Thank you all!
Now stay at home dad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:10 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud of
Default Re: Internal stabbing pain

I have pain in my intercostal muscles and back that comes and goes. I've had pain since day 1 even before my diagnosis so I can't say if it has anything to do with ALS or not. I have a ton of sensory symptoms and they started in the first place I had weakness.

At one point we had 12 PALS in my support group. Four of them were confined to wheelchair/bed. They all complained of pain. Have you tried medical cannabis? One PALS said he was able to get off Oxy and I've been off Oxy since taking medical cannabis.

Does someone help you with range of motion? How is your breathing?
KimT is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:29 PM #3 (permalink)

City: Talent
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has a spectacular aura aboutKarenNWendyn has a spectacular aura aboutKarenNWendyn has a spectacular aura about

City: Talent
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has a spectacular aura aboutKarenNWendyn has a spectacular aura aboutKarenNWendyn has a spectacular aura about

Could be pleurisy, but Iím unaware of that having anything to do with ALS.
KarenNWendyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:16 PM #4 (permalink)

City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Vincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really nice
City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Vincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really nice

I'm thinking pneumonia. As breathing becomes more compromised, we don't clear mucous from the deeper parts of the lungs. This creates a dark, warm, moist place for bacteria to grow. I'd get a chest x-ray ASAP. Pneumonia is a real risk and can go south quickly.

Vincent

Last edited by Vincent : 12-05-2017 at 10:18 PM Reason: punctuation
Vincent is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:30 PM #5 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud of
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud of

Intercostal pain, as Kim noted, could be an issue. Your diaphragm could be cramping also. A back that's out of alignment due to weak/spastic muscles creating imbalance could be pinching nerves.

Did you get a chest xray when you went to the ER?
ShiftKicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:51 AM #6 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

yes I did. But I didn't do an CT scan or MRI. Should I have?
Now stay at home dad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:41 AM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

The fact it's been going on so long, sadly makes it sound like it is muscle pain from weakness. I would ask for a good session with PT and/or OT to look at how to keep you positioned in ways that will support your upper body as much as possible.
affected is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
als, als symptoms, back, clinic, coughing, diagnosed, early, go away, hours, pain, paralyzed, problem, shoulder, symptoms, testing