Old 12-04-2017, 07:44 AM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Lahore
State: Punjab
Diagnosed: 07/2016
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
ghaurif is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Lahore
State: Punjab
Diagnosed: 07/2016
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
ghaurif is on a distinguished road
Default Speech Device for Bulbar-onset ALS

Hi guys,

I hope you are well and coping with any difficult situations that you are currently facing.

I am after a recommendation for a speech device for my father, a bulbar-onset PALS. He had a trach inserted 3 weeks ago so cannot speak, but his voice was barely discernible in the weeks leading up to it.

He currently communicates using his reasonably functional right hand, through writing (when he is feeling awake and has no breathing or bowel discomforts troubling him), or simply by pointing at letters on a whiteboard and my family write the sentences.*

It is not horrendously difficult at the moment to understand him since most phrases we can anticipate - they do not vary much - but this isn't efficient and he can get understandably frustrated at the time this process takes.

He is not very techy, so I was hoping for a recommendation for a hand controlled device which generates phrases that we ourselves can input - does anything exist like that?*

Thanks in advance,
Farhan
ghaurif is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:01 AM #2 (permalink)

City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Firefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really nice
City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really niceFirefighter58 is just really nice
Default Re: Speech Device for Bulbar-Onset PALS

Hello Farrah
I use an iPad with a Dynovox program bought online, I am very pleased with it, I can type what I want to say, and it will say what I typed you can put your own phases into it, and it is also the iPad that I am typeing this message on. Once the Dynovox program is loaded on to the iPad it no longer needs the internet to speak and function as a speaking device. And very easy to operate. Also included in the program is about fifty different languages. Hope this helps.
Al
Firefighter58 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:53 PM #3 (permalink)

City: Lenexa
State: KS
Diagnosed: 01/2017
Wilson2009 is on a distinguished road
City: Lenexa
State: KS
Diagnosed: 01/2017
Wilson2009 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Speech Device for Bulbar-Onset PALS

If your Dad has a smartphone, you might want to try Speech Assistant AAC, which is available for IOS and Android. It installs in seconds, comes with many, many canned statements and you can also add your own statements. If I remember correctly it costs less than $10 USD.

There is also a free phone app called Speech Assist Mini, which has canned phrases and allows you to type in statements, but does not save them. However, it is very easy to use.
Wilson2009 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
als, breathing, bulbar, coping, family, father, frustrated, hope, onset, speech, speech device, trach, voice