Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NY
City
NYC
Hi, my mother has been coughing a lot and I wanted to know if other people experience the same problem. Most of the coughs are from an itchy throat but her symptoms are also progressing rapidly. My mother can’t walk or use her arms and her speech is almost gone. I don’t think the itchy throat is part of als but I hope someone can confirm this and give me some tips to help my mother.

I have this issue a lot of the time. A drink usually helps short term.... Sometimes it gets real bad, so I pack cough drops with me always? The cough drops keep the saliva production flowing and help a lot for me.

Is your mom on BiPAP, Quintok? Sometimes the need for humidification setting adjustments and changing/cleaning filters/hoses/humidifier chambers are overlooked.

I would also look at the furnace filters where she stays, and humidification as well, as people with ALS find it harder to shake off any dryness or debris in the air. Scents, smoke and other irritants that she may have been fine with before may be a problem, also.

Is it a dry cough or is there mucus with it?

Very small mucus, I always hear her clearing her throat. She is currently using a bipap but not all day but I can try to clean the bipap.

I got a call from her general doctor today and he thinks it’s aspiration and recommends a feeding tube. I been trying to avoid talking about a feeding tube I think it might be time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back